it might be working!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Unstuck_Marie

Post by Unstuck_Marie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:13 pm

I've just had a couple of cool examples to share about expecting less and getting more.
So the first night I started session 4 I could not sleep. Tossing and turning and clock watching. I talked to myself, was able to relax and sleep. I woke up with the alarm, angry and anxious. I set the alarm for 7 to get up and clean. I shut the alarm off and told myself I do not need to wake up at 7 to clean. I am allowed to sleep in, and I will not be punished for it. I slept a little longer and got up and cleaned more than I had planned and felt great about that.
I was beating myself up for forgetting to buy garbage bags. I tried hard to change my thinking, but every time I passed the overflowing garbage (I was on the last garbage bag), I thought I'm so dumb I cant believe I forgot to buy garbage bags. So I actually imagined Lucinda talking to me saying, "so you forgot, its no big deal, you are not bad, get them when you can, its no big deal". I open the draw and found a huge new box of garbage bags that I completely forgot I bought about 2 weeks ago!
Then today, I have been nervous and having low level but constant anxiety all day about my library books. They are due today. I tried to go. I tried to call someone to come with me. I tried to think of a way to get there. I didn't go and had an inner battle about it. I finally positively thought something that I could believe. Its no big deal, I will bring them back tomorrow, and pay the 30 cent fine, 30 cents, 30 dollars, 30,000 dollars, not worth my sanity or feeling upset. So I just found the library ticket, and the books are not due till next week. I read the receipt wrong. Got worked up over nothing.
I am really finding the more I trust in this process, that I will prevail (fingers crossed)and good things happen.

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:25 am

Thanks for sharing these little victories! I love it! I feel better having read your post now. :D

Jill~

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”