First expectation after Session 4 CD.

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Van Davis

First expectation after Session 4 CD.

Post by Van Davis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:02 am

The first expectation that I made up this week which caused some anxiety was that i was going to run into some trouble that i can't handle after listening to Session 4 cd for first time.

A:Self talk. I am calm. I am peaceful. I am relaxed and i am resourceful. I will now listen to my relax cd.

listened.

#2:

I should have no problem(s) with this weeks' material.

A: This is why I'm doing this session and course to start with...to learn to deal with such problems.
Further, this is a"should (not)" expectation that is unrealistic. It is self-induced and my position at this point is that this statement is false, the truth of the matter is i will have to face some problems (fears) and (but) be able to work thru them with what i am learning. This makes me feel somewhat better just knowing and believing this. ;)

randy c.

Re: First expectation after Session 4 CD.

Post by randy c. » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:59 am

Van, kudos to you,way to work the program! :D

Chrismarie

Post by Chrismarie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:39 pm

One of my wxpectations that I struggle with is I expect recovery fast or sooner thn expected. I know it takes time but when I feel better and then have a day that I feel anxious I get upset that it's not working. Now I know this isn't rational but I worry about it.

Van Davis

Post by Van Davis » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:17 am

I'm just finishing Session 5 now and things are getting better for me by using the breathing annd td self-talk and watching my diet (session 5) and just started an exercise program with a soccer ball on the end wall to my apt which is on a hill with levels at top and bottom. It's wonderful because all I have to do is walk around the corner!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Fantastic! You're doing it! Keep up all of the great effort.

Van Davis

Post by Van Davis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:35 am

Finishing up Week 6 and have conquered some issues concerning (1) fear and low self-esteem associated with anger in a situation I had to walk away from where a "friend" from almost 50 years ago was "pushing my buttons" and (2) too high expectations of myself which led to anger and depression in another incident which I have re-evaluated and am going back and trying again...this time with the self-knowledge that I don't have to do the soccer coaching thing perfectly (they are only 4,5 and 6 year olds after all) and that I'll have some of the parents' help this time. After all, I'm 58 and WAY too out of shape to even think about doing this. It's like I'm an absolutely different person who has good feelings about myself and am capable of doing things I only dreamed of prior to this program!!!

Van Davis

Post by Van Davis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:45 am

Chrismarie wrote:One of my wxpectations that I struggle with is I expect recovery fast or sooner thn expected. I know it takes time but when I feel better and then have a day that I feel anxious I get upset that it's not working. Now I know this isn't rational but I worry about it.

Keep up the good work, Chrismarie. Try listening to the relaxation cd more often. The first 3 weeks of the program I was listening to it 3 times a day! It WILL start coming together for you. Don't be so tough on yourself and celebrate even the seemingly littlest accomplishments! You reached out with this post and that's HUGE!!!

Van Davis

Post by Van Davis » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:57 am

Van Davis wrote:
Chrismarie wrote:One of my wxpectations that I struggle with is I expect recovery fast or sooner thn expected. I know it takes time but when I feel better and then have a day that I feel anxious I get upset that it's not working. Now I know this isn't rational but I worry about it.

Keep up the good work, Chrismarie. Try listening to the relaxation cd more often. The first 3 weeks of the program I was listening to it 3 times a day! It WILL start coming together for you. Don't be so tough on yourself and celebrate even the seemingly littlest accomplishments! You reached out with this post and that's HUGE!!!

It DOES start to get easier as I look at each new week as a challenge, knowing that as I keep going, no matter how difficult it is learning the lesson I'm on at the time, it will pay off by the end of the week.
I take the weekends off and actually by Sunday nights now, I'm actually looking forward to starting the new Session on Monday am. Hope this helps... :)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”