Great Expectations

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
feelingbetter01

Great Expectations

Post by feelingbetter01 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:46 am

So I'm a perfectionist. I guess it's better than the other names I call myself. Lesson 3 was a good experience for me. I must have listened to the Lesson 6/7 times. It was hard to face the fact that I have no self esteem, that my identity is based on the ones others give me. But I'm learning to look within for support, acceptance and worth and trust that I am in here somewhere. Baby steps.

I've lowered my expectations for Lesson 4 and for the program because my high expectations for how well it should work are merely causing me grief and worry. I hope I'm getting this right. I'm seeing sometimes its just a matter of how you speak to yourself that makes the difference...maybe all the difference.

Wish me luck on the Lesson 4.
Last edited by feelingbetter01 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:57 am, edited 5 times in total.

lisatipton

Re: Great Expectations

Post by lisatipton » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 am

I just started session 4 myself and I too am a perfectionist. Often times I expect waaaaay too much from myself and from everyone around me. I get so disappointed about silly things that should not matter; like if my husband does the laundry for me, I get frustrated because it is not done how I would have done it. I don't get mad at him because it is helpful, but i almost feel like I should have done it myself so I could have controlled the outcome a bit better. Silly isn't it? Oh, and when she talks about the christmas tree on the tape... Lets just say that I put the christmas tree up and decorate it myself because everyone in my family knows it has to be perfectly balanced. I work on it for days. LOL... I seriously got a kick out of listening to these other ladies talk about the same thing. Anyway, this session is going to be quite a challenge for me, more so than session 3, which i thought was pretty hard. Session 3 was so helpful though. I really did not realize that I was so negative at times.

randy c.

Re: Great Expectations

Post by randy c. » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 am

Life is meant to be lived, not enjoyed. If you manage to enjoy it as you go, consider yourself blessed. Lower your expectations. ;) ;) ;)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”