Feeling really down!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
DonnaH

Feeling really down!

Post by DonnaH » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:13 pm

O.K. yesterday I drove 70 mile to go visit my daughter (first time I've gone more than 10 miles in 7+ years) and see her new apartment. I kept my anxiety under control, talked to myself the whole way down there and had a really nice visit. She was so excited to see me and I couldn't keep the grin off my face! We went to Starbucks and sat outside with our coffee (decaf for me) and all I could think about was what a blessed day I was having. When I left to drive home I ran into one of my biggest fears....an accident on the freeway that had traffic tied up for miles! I sat in my car and listened to some good music, did my breathing and talked calmly to myself. 3 hours later I finally made it home! I was so proud of myself! Then about 2 hours later I started feeling dizzy and I hurt all over, like I just went ten rounds with a boxer. Had trouble sleeping last night, my hands are shaking today and although I don't hurt all over anymore I still feel real anxious. Is this normal?!

meluv3

Re: Feeling really down!

Post by meluv3 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Wow!! What an amazing day for you!!!!!! I hope you are really proud of yourself for all that you accomplished!! You did it!!!!!!!!! All that said - you had a big day and although you might not have realized it, you might have had some tension while making this stride. Before this setback when I was doing better, I used to get heightened anxiety quite a bit after a big event. I would just be extra gentle to myself and it would pass. Keep remembering your wonderful moments and smile as you think of them. And if you had a rough night with little sleep ... that always makes me more shaky and anxious the next day. Try the relaxation cd - maybe even a couple extra times today to help calm your nervous system. It will pass!!! =)

DonnaH

Re: Feeling really down!

Post by DonnaH » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful words! Your right, I got a good night's sleep last night and spent the morning getting cuddles from my 6 week old Granddaughter and I'm feeling back to my old self! Now I can look at what I did and feel really proud and happy with myself! I also will try to take things a bit slower when I venture out and try not to get so excited. Thanks again and have a great day! Donna

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”