sisters

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
LyndaLu

sisters

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:03 pm

My sister and niece/great-nieces were due in town for a visit recently. My sister caught the flu and could

not come on the trip. My sister is very anxious, like I am. We both have very high expectations and we

stress out over the small stuff. I never realized, until recently, while working on the program, how alike

my sister and I are - especially about the expectations part. Well, to continue on with my story, my niece

and two great-nieces showed up in town without my sister. We had a nice two day visit and all went well.

My niece is just like her father, real "layed back" and relaxed ( nothing like her mother, my sister ). My

niece had problems with her airline flight and had to stay overnight in Denver unexpectedly. This was

of course a big inconvenience with two children, but she is an international traveler and took it all in stride.

If my sister had been along on the trip the whole "lay-over" on the airline flight would have been a disaster -

because of my sister's high expecations and anxiety. I have to say that the visit from my niece and great-

nieces was so different without my sister being on the trip. My sister will be coming down for a

visit soon by herself.

Does anyone else have family members who are just like them, full of anxiety, stress and high expectations?

Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Re: sisters

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 am

I have a mother who is just like me, or should I say I am just like here. It's funny I never really realized before, until now that I am doing the program and learning more about it!! Which makes it a little harder now that I am working on these things and she is not. I know I will learn how to effectively deal with her. Hopefully some of what I am learning will even rub off on her! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:47 pm

Yeah, my mom AND my sister and I are just like each other in many ways. I don't think that the program will

"rub off" on my mom because she is elderly and set in her ways, but I share stuff from the program with my

sister when I send her e-mails and when I mail her letters.

I find it amazing that my mom, sister and I all suffer from anxiety.

An example of our stress: My niece and two great-nieces

recently came to town for a two day visit to visit my mom and I. Both my mom and I were stressed out about the

visit for some reason. I guess my mom was anxious, probably, because two little girls were going to be

running around her condo for two days. She is not used to having the little ones around. And I was all anxious

because I had to pick my visiting relatives up at the airport. I had to drive my mom's big car and I had to

locate an airline terminal at the airport I had never been to before, in addition to driving in morning rush hour

traffic on a major freeway ( it took me an hour just to get to the airport ! ). And I bet my sister was probably

full of anxiety back at home because she had the flu really, really bad and SHE was supposed to be visiting us too.

My sister missed out on the trip and I am sure that made her sad and anxious too. Lucinda says that some of these

things that we have wrong with us are inherited and I really believe that. Well, that is all for now,

Lynda :)

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:37 pm

I beleive it is inherited/learned. A lot of it is about "coping skills" so it makes sense that if our parents have it (Mine does also) they don't know the skills, how can the possibly teach us? I think some are lucky enough to learn form others, but not all of us pick up so easily on the influence of others. We don't have anyone to teach us what to do with all these emotions and thoughts and feelings....
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:49 am

I will also have to look up the difference between
"inherited" and "genetic". I think Lucinda uses the word
"genetic" on her CD's.
Hope you had a good Easter.

Lynda

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”