Is Anyone Starting Session 4?...Support

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
katz

Is Anyone Starting Session 4?...Support

Post by katz » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:30 pm

Is anyone starting session 4? Lets talk/support each other.

I am still working (and will be working) on negative thoughts. I started tape 4 today. There are many good things in there.
I am very excited. So far I have been putting the lessons into practice and I finally left the house for a walk alone this week. No panic attack happened. But I got a rush of adrenalin from the excitement that I accomplished a goal.
The next day, I wasn't feeling to well, allergies, I think, and I started to get bummed that I didn't have the energy that I did the day before, but I used my positive thoughts and praised myself for doing a good job on the walk and that my fatigue would pass. I am glad I didn't let the negative thoughts bog down a positive accomplished goal!

Iwillbebetter

Re: Is Anyone Starting Session 4?...Support

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 am

although I'm no longer on 4 (what a great session) I would be happy to offer my support. I am on 8, should be moving to 9 shortly. I hadn't planned on taking so long for that session... but that's okay!
What do you know, I still work at the negative thoughts to, it's amazing how much we can think negatively without even realizing. I would have NEVER guessed me to be such a negative thinker, I was really shocked/blown away to realize that.
It's nice to see your excitement, as it is something to be excited about!! You are on your way to a new you!! I wish I could get that excitement back :) But excitment or not... I"m still doing it!! :)
Awesome job, not letting yourself get down at what you couldn't do, but focusing on what you did do!! :) :)
Keep doing what you are doing, as you're doing great!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:03 pm

That's great that you are improving and can see the improvements! I think that is so key, to congratulate ourselves for even the smallest things, as Lucinda says. I don't do that enough!!

I think your positive self-talk also ties into have realistic expectations for yourself - being able to set small goals and work toward those, rather than expecting yourself to be ready to run a marathon or be perfectly comfortable!

The sooner we realize that perfection is not attainable, the closer we are to complete recovery!!

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:49 pm

dear katz: It sounds like you are headed in the right direction ! Good Job ! :D

When I start to list my accomplishments, no matter how small, I feel good about myself and my day.

Instead of bringing ourselves down about what we didn't do, we can think about all

of the things that we DID do. I really enjoyed Session Three and Session Four, as I could really

relate to both of the Sessions. I am such a negative thinker and I knew that before I started

the program. I also knew about the high expectations that I had about everything. Working

on the program has helped me see these things in myself and is helping me work on

acting on them in a postive way. I don't know what advice

I can offer you except for you to know that I know how you feel and that it sounds like you

are really on track with the program. :) There are things that I need to do this week and

after having a very tiring, sedentary weekend, I think I am ready to do them :?: Lynda

Dixiesmom

Post by Dixiesmom » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 pm

Katz,
I started session 4 today. Congrats on your accomplishments. If you need any support, let me know - you can PM me. I think this is going to be a hard session for me - as was session 3. These two areas (negative thinking and high expectations) are probably my biggest downfalls. I will be struggling my way through them for some time. Best of luck! :D

peony

Post by peony » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:23 am

I am starting session 4. I spent 2 weeks on session 3 which I found to be very helpful. Especially the process of identifying my negative thoughts, questioning, restating, problem solving, as outlined on the little card. I found the process cuts the neg thought from festering. I can get caught up in some of my totally untrue thoughts and obsess on them for a long time. I was surprised how the process can cut the ruminations short! I noticed that sometimes something will happen or a certain thought will happen where there is a strong cluster of many neg thoughts together!

I decided to take a trip last week that I had been dreading. I decided that I would have a good time, and it turned out to be a wonderful trip. I know it was the program that made it enjoyable, and not a nightmare. Even though I didnt have time, I journaled every nite and wrote down a few of the many neg thoughts I had and "worked" them.

I am going on another trip tomorrow hopefully I can continue session 4 while away visiting my son. It's hard to have the time and space when you are not at home.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:51 pm

katz wrote:Is anyone starting session 4? Lets talk/support each other.

I am still working (and will be working) on negative thoughts. I started tape 4 today. There are many good things in there.
I am very excited. So far I have been putting the lessons into practice and I finally left the house for a walk alone this week. No panic attack happened. But I got a rush of adrenalin from the excitement that I accomplished a goal.
The next day, I wasn't feeling to well, allergies, I think, and I started to get bummed that I didn't have the energy that I did the day before, but I used my positive thoughts and praised myself for doing a good job on the walk and that my fatigue would pass. I am glad I didn't let the negative thoughts bog down a positive accomplished goal!
I did the same thing the other day. I never exercise but I just decided to go outside for a nice 15 minute walk.
I have access to a treadmill, but that is not the same as walking outside in the fresh air and the sunshine.
I think exercise just lifts the soul. God Bless and good job on your accomplishments !

Lynda

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”