Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:42 pm

Well I finally was able to get out my workbook.... Wow what a wake up call..... I got a 56 on that evaluation out of 60!! I never realize how much I expected of myself and how unreal my expectations were!!! I am also quite amazed at the list I was able to make and that was just off the top of my head.... I don't even want to think of what it would look like if I took more time and really thought about it!!! Time to start crossing off. I think I will listen to this CD regularly for a while just to keep it in mind as I know this I will be working at for sometime. Not just removing the expectations, but keeping them gone!!

I was able to practice this over Christmas though and WOW what a difference!! I removed the expectations... mainly for my children and was able to actually enjoy Christmas. I was able to allow my kids to be KIDS!!!
We even managed to have the flu... kids got it late Christmas eve!! But I would say this was our BEST Christmas ever!!! :)

I WILL be better!!!
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

stevenb33

Re: 56

Post by stevenb33 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:12 am

whta u said is very true, getting rid of these unrealistic expectations is one thing but keeping them gone is another. i thought the same thing i need to work at this step as well at try to really apply it. keeping these expectations that cause us to be perfectionists and to actually even make us start to dislike ourselves need to go. all they have ever done is cause hurt and uneasiness and its time we excepted that being ourselves is okay flaws and all. im glad to hear u had a good christmas and keep up the good work.

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the reply Steven :) Yes keeping them gone I think will be more of the harder part. But I beleive it can be done!! :)
its time we excepted that being ourselves is okay flaws and all.

Funny such a simple concept.... but yet it can be so hard to grasp!! :) But you are so right IT'S TIME!! Time to love ourselves unconditionally!! We try so hard to make others like/love us.. time to take that energy and focus it inward instead of outward!!

I hope this day finds you well :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Okay, I am starting Session Four tomorrow. I will see what my score is then !

L

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:36 pm

I am replying to my own post ? Ha Ha.
Anyway, I honestly got a 57 on that attitude inventory on Session Four today.
I hope I did not rush Session Three and am ready for Session Four ?

Daylight Saving Time this weekend ! Have a great one. 8-)

L

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 pm

LyndaLu wrote: am replying to my own post ?
nothing wrong with that!! :) don't worry about moving on to quickly. I'm sure if you moved on you are ready!! It's a lot to take in, we are not going to be able to "master" them before moving on. And you can always go back and listen to them again - I do!! :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:48 pm

Sometimes if I "write" things down, it helps me to remember them better.
So here is something from the Session Four carry along card.

Expectations: Expect Less And Get More

ATTITUDE is everything.
Depression is treatable.
I will not "should" on myself today.
I am capable of setting realistic goals.
I can stop taking myself so seriously.
Unrealistic expectations cause stress.
Unreasonable "shoulds" bring frustrations.
My best is good enough.
I am worth standing up for.
I am no longer a victim thinker.

:)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”