Problems with family members

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Nel01073

Problems with family members

Post by Nel01073 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:25 pm

This has been going on for quite some time now. I have a sister I just cant get along with. We argue about stupid things and then I get the silent treatment for months in a row sometimes. When we are not mad at each other shes really nice and fun to be around but I am constantly worried about saying the wrong thing and offending her. It wasnt always this way and now my other sister is starting to do the same thing. I wish we could talk about the problems instead but Im afraid shell get offended because its happened before. I think shes dealing with her own issues but I wish it would stop. Please I need some advice :cry:

christieinez

Re: Problems with family members

Post by christieinez » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Maybe you should try and write a letter. I always have a hard time approaching people when I have issues with them and I hold them in. But we both know that this isn't good. At least writing a letter will help you to put your thoughts together and you can possible be more comfortable to approach her. Don't pressure yourself to talk to her. I think you will know when you are ready.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 am

I agree with christie, I always go for the letter method. Whenever I have a face to face conversation that's sort of heated I always forget what I'm going to say and the wrong things always come out. Writing a letter gets everything you want to say out and you can reread and edit it before they see it. :]

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:25 am

Hi I fully agree by writing down your thoughts and explaning is to get that anxiety out of your system. Maybe they don't understand what you are going through. I have done the same thing and it just gives you some relief.
Good Luck :)
Margaret

Nel01073

Post by Nel01073 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Thank you guys so much for your advice. I dont think my sister takes me seriously when I try to talk to her or she sees it as an attack. But I will definitely give the letter a try. I think shes fighting her own demons but Im really hurt. I just hope she understands and wont get mad at me. I really hope we focus on solving the problem instead of just arguing. Thank you. :|

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”