Fear

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
jettablue

Fear

Post by jettablue » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:51 pm

Had a major setback tonight :( I've been doing great so lately I've been lazy and not keeping up like I should. I am 29 years old and my parents are in their late 60's. My biggest source of anxiety is the fear of them becoming I'll or dying. It always has been as far back as I can remember. I have started avoiding seeing them face to face because When I see them I start picking things out about them that make me think they are Ill until I go into a full blown panic. Tonight I was in an unavoidable situation where I had to have dinner with them. I spent the last two days setting myself up with anticipatory anxiety. I went in unprepared and came out ready to cry and full of panic. Sometimes I feel completely alone In this fear. Do any of you deal with this? At least now I know what I did wrong in this situation. Before this program I had no hope of ever being happy so at least I have that now. Thanks for listening

perspectivegirl

Re: Fear

Post by perspectivegirl » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:06 am

Hey jettablue, I have so felt the same way! I feel like it's a bit worse now for me, because my mother has really started becoming my best friend. We've really repaired our relationship over the year and now my anxiety is making me so incredibly worried that I might lose her, and how would I deal with it? and so many "What if" thoughts it makes my head spin.
I know how you feel with the anticipatory anxiety too. Sounds like you really built your anxiety up about the dinner. Maybe try and take a step back and look at the situation. "I'm going to have dinner with my parents which is really making me anxious- and we're going to have a family meal together and it's going to be okay." I know it's over and you feel like you've had a setback, but as I've been realizing and as my mother has been telling me, not everyday is going to be the biggest success. Nothing is a quick fix and the program is going to require work on your part- where you want to help yourself, which you are already doing. :] There are going to be ups and downs, good days and bad days. I've found that the best thing to do when I have a rough patch (and boy do they happen sometimes) and positive self-talk doesn't always work well is to say to myself, "Yeah, I'm having a rough few days, but look at how far I've come and look at all the changes I've made in myself. I'm helping myself, discovering that I have the power to help myself, and that's pretty incredible."

Hope I was of some help!

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”