Morning Issues

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
joygirl623

Morning Issues

Post by joygirl623 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Just wondering if anyone else has these issues and if anyone has any advice...

Morning is the worst time of the day for me. I generally have a very hard time waking up (takes me about an hour to feel awake) and I tend to feel anxious most of the morning and afternoon. My anxiety seems to get better at night (most days). Has anyone else struggled with this? Any tips?

teepee58

Re: Morning Issues

Post by teepee58 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:18 am

The morning anxiety seems pretty common. Mine was getting debilitating and I lost entire days to anxiety, depression, and inactivity right before I ordered the program. I am unemployed, so what has helped me tremendously is a planned morning routine to build up some momentum to start the day off, and maintaining a to-do list as well as a tasks-for-today list so needed chores and tasks to keep me active and more focused are at my fingertips. When I was employed, the act of getting ready for and getting to work helped some, but I don't have that luxury now.

GET UP AT 730 AM
Feed Dogs who wake me up at this time like clockwork
Have breakfast - Take Good Days Morning Meds
Do the Relaxation CD Routine
Review Stress (MW) Program Cards for current and past sessions
15 Minutes Straightening Up Around House - (I set the timer)
30 minutes aerobic Exercise
20-30 minutes Cool Down
Shower

After this I am ready to tackle some of the items on my task list, as well as work on my current program session and do some of the recommended reading. Some days go better than others as far as following my routine. Getting the early morning momentum and sense of accomplishment usually has a very positive impact on my mood for the day. If I get all that done to start the day, I can take even a nap later in the morning or afternoon without feeling guilty, lazy, wasteful of time, and more anxious and depressed.

Anxiety routinely seems less at night for me also ( "I made it through another day !!" ).

william5million

Post by william5million » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:46 pm

I am quite opposite. I feel good in the morning and worse in the afternoon. I think that when I get tired I get more anxious. Plus depression doesnt let you sleep well. So if I lost any sleep it was worse earlier in the day. I'm working on being anxious when i'm exhausted. Hope you are doing well.

lindatenney

Post by lindatenney » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Yes, my anxiety is always worse in the morning and seems to get better in the evening. I've read where this is common. Maybe it has to do with hormones.

4Judy2

Post by 4Judy2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:00 am

Mornings have been my most anxious times, too. There have been times when I hate to go to bed at night because I'm afraid of waking up in the morning all anxious again. I must admit that the program is beginning to work. It takes a lot of time, but it somehow alters my thinking enough to get me through the days, and lately through the night.
How are you doing now?

mort55

Post by mort55 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes without a doubt morning is the worst when it comes to feeling anxiety. I wake up early and sometimes do the relaxation cd. I thne will listen to the current session and have found that I learn something new each time I listen. I tell my self that the anxious feelings are temporary and I will do just fine. I go over in my mind the things I have heard on the cds. I keep telling myself that I am my safe person and I don't need any validation from anyone but me and God. Even today I had several things go wrong but kept telling myself these are not important things in life and to get over it. After I left my card in the atm machine and the bank said because it wasn't from their bank they would have to destroy it I wanted for a second to cry but just start laughing instead. Before I knew it the feeling started leaving and I realized that I truly can control what kind of day I am going to have by just using the self talk. Hang in there everyone. We are getting better. I can tell I am on the right track. I am not letting people that don't care for me make me feel like I have to please them. This is so freeing. My prayer life has help so much also. I feel like God or some spiritual being is opening doors. Life is getting better.

NancyP

Post by NancyP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Morning is always worse for me too. I take herbal meds right away in the am and am usually fine later in the am. I have trouble with fatique in the afternoon.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Morning is bad for me as well...

Howie2

Post by Howie2 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Mornings are the most problematic for me as well. On a bad day i wake up anxious and shakey. I try to get in some early morning exercise to help burn off the adrenaline and then a lukewarm to cool shower really helps. I have awakened in such shape before that i literally wanted to hide under the bed and not face anything. Much better the last few months. Good luck and hang in there.

MuskogeeRose

Post by MuskogeeRose » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 pm

Mornings are sometimes really bad for me also. The problem that I am really dealing with also is I am going through surgical menopause so I feel my hormones are all over the place and it doesn't help my anxiety or depression. But I do love this program. I do feel like somewhat of a new person. Everyone hang in there and don't give up you are not alone in this. :)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”