Advice needed from people who understand!!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
hopeForUs

Advice needed from people who understand!!

Post by hopeForUs » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

I started session 4 on Tuesday and for some reason I'm having trouble all of a sudden. I've been really good with all the sessions so far even though I though 3 was going to be the hardest. And now, I'm having trouble keeping up with the positive self talk. I've gone to class once this week. I usually miss at least one day in the week because it's just too hard and exhausting to go 5 days a week but this week is really bad and I don't know why. I can't keep missing school like this. Session 3 helped me conquer most of my anxiety but I feel like that just made more space for the depression. I know you guys can relate so someone, please, help me! I really want to get back on track with feeling better!

Jenika Desjardins, 20, student

Tifinage

Re: Advice needed from people who understand!!

Post by Tifinage » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

i can completely relate. I was motivated in session 3, feeling great about my self-talk and then i started session four and am feeling tremendously discouraged. I have been feeling really insecure and voulnerable and telling myself that I cannot do this and feeling so weak and scared. But we did it once, we can do it again. stick with it and tell yourself how wonderful you are,also talk to God.

-Tiffany

hopeForUs

Post by hopeForUs » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:17 pm

It's nice to know I'm not alone. I am trying but I'm not religious so I only have me and my boyfriend and the counsellor I see every 2 weeks. Thanks for the encouragement!

pamelaputman

Post by pamelaputman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:17 pm

I just moved to session 4. I having a hard keeping the terms straight. I dont want to stop the program but is creating anxiety for me because I cant keep things straight in my head. I am a perfectionist and have been dealing with severe anxiety and depression for a long time. I feel so worthless. Anyone have any ideas for me?

CynCG

Post by CynCG » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

I can relate to all of you. This is day 4 for me for session 4 and this is day two of a horrible day. I panicked this morning, missed my alarm clock, and had to miss work. This then makes me feel stupid, and depressed. I went back to review session 2, and re-watched the coaching video for session 4. I am starting to feel a little better. One thing that I know I need to do (easier said then done) is be more compassionate towards myself. I forgive others so much, but yet I stay mad at myself so long. I feel as if I have been counter-acting session 4 since I started it. Just being so hard on myself since because I felt that I needed to start all over. But I just need to sit back, realize that I have had one hell of a busy week, doing stuff for everyone else EVERY DAY this week. So how could I really focus on myself?!? I have to be loving towards myself like I would be to my husband or best friend. Tell myself it is okay. I will be okay.

hopeForUs

Post by hopeForUs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:53 pm

You are completely right CynCG. WE all need more compassion for ourselves. I give the benefit of the doubt to everyone but myself. I ended up missing two and a half weeks of school and I still hate myself for it. Thankfully I have a counsellor that is wonderful and she's helping me too. I have faith in all of us!! Stick to it guys, we can push through. We're still alive and strong (even though we don't feel strong at all) through all the years of being anxious and depressed. I struggled for those 2 weeks on session 4 and I made it. If I can come through it, anyone else can.

finallyhere

Post by finallyhere » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:17 am

I haven't read a single message from any of you yet :? . I just need to be here right now. Thanks for listening.

OK just calmed down, read all of your messages. I really do need to be here. WOW. Thought session 3 was going to be my nemisis. I have to get rid of negative and become compassionate to myself. It's just after midnight, EST, and I am still awake and going, but recognize that I do need to call it quits......I wrote the book on all nighters......with a lot of help from the rest who are just like me......that thougt being a reflection of lesson 3, stating the positive, I am not in this all by myself. I am not alone in this. We are here together for a reason. Thanks to your sharing and support.

SCREW FEAR OF FAILURE! I'M GOING ALL THE WAY!!

pamelaputman

Compassion for yourself

Post by pamelaputman » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:32 pm

I am having a difficult time liking myself. I hate myself and the way I think. I know you have to like yourself for the rest of the program to work for you. This is creating more deppresion and anxiety and I am ready to call it quits. I even asked my adult children to make a list of things they liked about me. This did not help. How do you love yourself? Anyone who can help please respond.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”