Being less affected by others

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
jordenes

Being less affected by others

Post by jordenes » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:20 pm

Today I let myself be influenced by someone at my work and ended up blowing something out of proportion. I don't know why I allowed myself to be influence by people. I want to work on being less affected by those around me and I think I will start on this as of today (its never too late, right?) its so hard sometimes to take a step back and analyze things when you are so used to not doing that. Can someone please give any advice?

jkulag

Re: Being less affected by others

Post by jkulag » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm

I can relate so well to what you are dealing with. I allow other people's moods to affect me, too. Something I was taught that helps is called DETACHMENT. Basically it's about recognizing your own moods or thoughts first and not adopting someone else's. It takes practice. It helps me to imagine an invisible boundary line between me and someone else, like an invisible wall. I don't let someone else's bad mood or negative thinking through my invisible wall unless I decide to. Good luck ! jkulag

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”