I never noticed all this negativity...until now

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
mbd

I never noticed all this negativity...until now

Post by mbd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:57 pm

Hello Forum!

So maybe it is just me but over the past 2 days it's like I've been hit over the head. I never noticed how negative the people I interact with are on a daily basis! Pretty much every conversation I have had at work or with friends has been very, very negative. I have just been standing back and listening and observing a lot and I never realized how often people complain, fight, judge, and dump on others etc.

I know I am like that as well, and have been for years, but I never noticed how draining and annoying it is. I've begun avoiding people who are negative because I don't want to feel dragged down or participate in it when I know it is a key factor to my anxiety and depression. NOW, I am struggling a bit because I want to change this cycle immediately. Now that I see it clearly, I want to tackle and overcome it.

Anyone else experience something similar to this? I am so happy with the way I am feeling in general while on this program, and I learn so much every lesson... I have many "ah ha!" moments. This is a big one, now that I see the negativity in me, I need to be able to try to overcome this .

I would love any feedback or advice from others!

Thanks so much :)

couturesugar

Re: I never noticed all this negativity...until now

Post by couturesugar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:50 am

There is a lot of negativity around us. I think people are afraid to think positively.. because it might show that we're vulnerable. It's easier to complain about everything and have a lousy attitude than to be positive and risk hurt of any sort. Great that you're having 'aha' moments!

Team Mom

Post by Team Mom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

Hi there! You are absolutely right. I didn't realize how negative I was until listening to these sessions. I have pulled away from one particular friend who was always negative. All of our conversations and all her posts of Facebook are negative and complaining. I want to tell her about this program but I know I have to be very careful how I approach her. Also, maybe you can help me with this, I didn't realize until lately how negative my husband is. What do I do about him? We're married I can't just kick him to the curve. LOL I'm glad your on the right road to recovery. Keep up the good work. :D

jkulag

Post by jkulag » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:22 pm

I totally relate to what all of you are saying. I began seeing a while back how negative many people are, especially in what they talk about. I stopped seeing one friend altogether because she constantly was angry and complaining about something. I realized how "bummed out" I felt everytime I got around her. So I decided to take care of my own mental health and stop calling her. Interestingly, I felt really guilty about doing that. So today I skipped ahead and listened to the tape on GUILT and WORRY, so I could get a handle on my guilt feelings. Sad to say we are often so unaware how negative we are, but once you begin to recognize it, it becomes glaringly obvious in yourself and others. I'm planning to make an effort to get around some upbeat people this week. I think it will be "good medicine" for me. jkulag

ladyjeweler

Post by ladyjeweler » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:17 pm

I agree with you, I've noticed so much negativity coming from me and those around me. Now that I notice it, it's amazing how much I want to change my way of thinking. The positve self talk is so much more comforting than calling myself stupid like I used to.
I recently reached out to a depressed friend on facebook giving her positive phrases from the program that help me and offering to call and talk only to receive silence in return. The silence is hurtful and makes me a little angry but it made me realize a big difference between us; you will only change if you want to. I recognized I needed help and in an answer to a prayer I found this program and I'm so thankful. Every week I learn something new and now I can get through a day without a panic attack while just a couple of weeks ago I was having 3 or more daily.

perspectivegirl

Post by perspectivegirl » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:54 am

I totally agree with EVERYONE who's posted so far.. I totally feel the same way. It's hard for me to realize that the people I'm closest to, my closest friends are the ones that helped feed my negativity. It's also hard to accept that negativity IS the easy way out, and it's so much easier to be negative and that's the easy way out. It is much harder to be positive and take that light with you everywhere and not let the negativity weigh you down. and that we need to feel good about ourselves when we do that..

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:56 pm

Unfortunately, there is negativity everywhere - in books, magazines, the news and even our own thoughts. All we can do is try to keep it out of our lives and our own minds and pray that God will help us.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”