Being less affected

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
mramirez10

Being less affected

Post by mramirez10 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:49 pm

So today I'm practicing being less affected by others. So for a hole day it is my goal to not let what others do or say affect me. It suggest we do it for a whole week. I'll do it one day at a time. It is also my goal to wake up and go to bed each day counting my blessings. I feel that if I put it on here it gives me some sort of accountability. I'll write later to tell how it went.

THH

Re: Being less affected

Post by THH » Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Mramirez10,
I do count my blessing as well. When I first started I had trouble listing my blessings. Now I can write a book!
Good job! Post how it goes.... ;)

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:54 pm

So I realized something about myself yesterday by doing this. I'm harder on my self and expect more from my self than I do from others. But for yesterday I focused on just being less affected by others. I noticed that if I didn't expect much, I really wasn't that mad, frustrated, or disapointed. Yesterday I expected that my kids might quaral, complain, cry, spill or brake something, make messes ext. Then I was pleased when none of those things happened. As for myself I realized I expected too much of myself. Especially from this program. As I listened to session 4 for the 2nd time I realized that I was expecting myself to do this program perfectly, and stressing out when I couldn't do it. I realized I don't have to do this perfectly. I can do what is best for me. Just try my best and that is good enough. So tomorrow, I'm going to focus on not expecting so much from my self. Tonight I'm tring not to get dissapointed because I have a sick child and another child performing in a play tonight. I'm trying to find the postive. I have found it and am just trying now to not be dissapointed.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Sun May 22, 2011 7:31 pm

That's great Mramirez10--I know that it is our expectations of ourselves and others that can really get our anxiety up, or at least mine! :lol: So I've done the same thing, work on expecting less and it has helped. Paislee :mrgreen:

4corners

Post by 4corners » Sun May 22, 2011 10:08 pm

Hello everyone, will i started session 4 today and i feel that i didnt really click with the session. it didn't draw my attention from the beginning to session 3. I dont know if im doing this program right or if it is even working for me. I still worry about how i will feel when i get up for the day and before i go to bed i wonder if i will be able to sleep. i push myself daily to get daily stuff done but then when i sit down to watch a tv show i start to feel anxiety set in. Does that mean i cant enjoy a movie or take a nap during the day. Then I read that I need to cut back to even give up sugar and caffiene. Does that mean I cant have any coffee? Im just really confused about alot of stuff...i think I feel like i will fail at this program cause i didn't do well with online classes or homework. and this seems just that! Im good with one on one...I feel like I want Lucinda herself to be here with me and having my sessions with her in person...Im just :( -4corners

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon May 23, 2011 11:44 pm

Its true, you probably need to cut out the coffee. I've had to cut out sugar, chocolate, stay away from too much salt that is already been put in the food, such as potato chips, hot dogs, pop corn, etc. and I'm not a coffee drinker or use caffeine at all. So right now I'm highly sensitive, but I have definitely calmed down since last year when I had my first panic attacks, long story, But I finally am much calmer and on no medication, except to sleep since DH snores. paislee

mramirez10

Post by mramirez10 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:27 pm

4 corners,

I've felt the same way at times, wondering if I'm doing the program right. I'm can't take naps or sit for too long w/o getting anxious. I am able to watch a movie, but not often. Yes I think you do need to cut out caffine and surgar, or at least start eliminating it slowly. I don't know if you've done the coaching session yet, but you might want to give it a try because you can talk to some one one on one.

GeraldScott

Post by GeraldScott » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:49 am

Coffee is a tough one for me to give up. I've already given up alcohol (for the most part). Dang it, cant' I have just one vice? Anyway, I bought a bag of decaf beans, and started making my coffee with half decaf and half regular. I think it's helping me and I still get to drink some.

mbwillow1

Post by mbwillow1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

So this morning I had a talk with my husband about our upcoming mini road-trip/vacation & I was unhappy about how the weather is likely to be rainy across the state. I got in the car and popped this week's CD into the player and burst out laughing that in the first 5 minutes she talked about exactly that.
Malinda

jkulag

Post by jkulag » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Isn't it funny how that happens sometimes, like maybe God really was helping you see the humor in it. I love that story ! Thanks for telling it...jkulag

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”