Exercising increase anxiety?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
mickey4

Exercising increase anxiety?

Post by mickey4 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:51 pm

Has anyone else experienced higher levels of anxiety after working out? I'm sticking with it, but my anxiety issue is with health concerns, I get pains in the left side of my chest, ive been checked over and doctors cant find anything. So I try and do my relaxation exercises and it eventually goes away. Anyone have this also?

mightmakemerry

Re: Exercising increase anxiety?

Post by mightmakemerry » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:30 pm

Oh YES my friend :D. From even before I start my workouts I am feeling anxious. During my workouts the feelings kind of dissipate but towrds the end I feel super anxious. I came on here to relax and find someone who feels the same way. I just ended a workout session. Good luck and yes, I believe that it is worth it to stick with it.

Tifinage

Post by Tifinage » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 pm

Hey hey,

I think that ur chest pains have nothing to do with health issues. Chest pains are a symptom of anxiety. And your heart probably also feels that way because you are working out, getting your blood pumping and heaart rate up with cardio. The ideal thing would be to do 30 min of cardio a day anyway!--Like the treadmill or fast pace walking. So your chest sensations are no biggie :)

Hope this helps,

Tiffany

ElectrifiedBrain

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Yeah, the chest pains could very well be from anxiety. What I recommend you do is do the exercise anyway. When you behave as you would if you didn't have the anxiety over exercising, your brain will have to align your emotions to your behaviour since your behaviour isn't changing. Eventually the anxiety will go away. As well, remember, "Before you know it, it will be over," the "it" being whatever bad thing there is.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

cw23218

Post by cw23218 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:10 pm

Swimming is better for me; being in a room with a lot of people exercising makes me anxious. Swimming is much more relaxing.

CreativeRach

Post by CreativeRach » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:41 pm

Friend, you are not alone. I would have bad chest pains to the point where I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I have cut out coffee, and have been drinking orange juice in the morning. This has helped dramatically. Also, I made a goal that no matter what, every day of the week I would go walk my cat. At first, it was so difficult to just get up and go because I was still feeling tired and didn't want to go. But i made the goal at the end of the week to treat myself to a dessert at starbux and a non coffee drink. Also, working up to an hour i did over the course of a month. Now I listen to the audio tapes while i am walking with him. He gets his exercise, and I get my knowledge. once a week I listen to the radio for an hour while I am out with him, this is also stress relieving. Then, after all the stress and worries of the day are over, I exercise to nintendo wii on the EASY mode. It's only for about 15 minutes. I feel amazing after this. Find something you like to do, and it won't feel like exercise, you don't have to get your heart into max cardio mode. :] Just get moving a little. Think of the feelings as excitement that you will be working on your muscles. I don't do a lot of cardio. I do squats and bicep curls, and short runs under 5 minutes, just a couple laps. Also, look at what you are thinking before you start working out. I used to also get these pains when i was at work and really stressed out. I have just come to the conclusion that I don't care what anyone thinks of me, I know I am working hard, this is my best, and some days I need to rest or take things slower. I love me, and I'm going to do what it takes to get where I want to be. If they want to talk about me, get in line! I only care what I think of me. You can do this!!! You are beautiful! I am proud of you for working out even though it's uncomforrable, and you should be too!! That is some good hard work you are doing!! Keep it up! :]

Howie2

Post by Howie2 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Actually my exercising helps to relieve some of my issues. Most of mine show up in the mornings, so i exercise to help burn off adrenaline. also helps clear my head and gets me to thinking of other things. Just don't overdo. Too much can bring on stress which i think we all know what that does.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”