Stuck in the past. please help.

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
ab1982

Stuck in the past. please help.

Post by ab1982 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:33 pm

I had a great childhood! Nothing to complain about! Plenty of good friends, family trips to Black Sea, working in the garden with grandma, interesting and fun. I am 28 now. And my mind keeps going back to the times I was happy and secure. I can't escape all the negative feelings I have about being an adult. How do I end this way of thinking, let go and just enjoy my life? What the hell is wrong with me? Is there a way to reprogram my brain? What do i do now? I basically sentenced myself to the life of sorrow and disappointment.

sleepyby8

Re: Stuck in the past. please help.

Post by sleepyby8 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:24 pm

I believe that if we really work the program and change the way we talk to ourselves more and more we will begin to live in the present.....where we will be "happy" again. I'm finding I'm enjoying more of life each day....the anxiety isn't consuming so much of my present and I'm not dwelling so much in the past or the what ifs. Keep working on changing your dialogue with yourself :) I know your future can be as joyful and promising as your past!

THH

Re: Stuck in the past. please help.

Post by THH » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:31 pm

ab1982,
I agree, lol...I'm 52! So many things in my childhood that I loved, are gone, even the people who were there sharing the same time and space. I agree with sleepby8, doing the program will help. For me I have had to learn that life its self is always changing and I am a person who don't like change. Even resist change. By getting out of our comfort zones we really may enjoy new things!
Instead of dwelling on the good ole days I have gotten better at trying new things and finding out I really like many of them! :D

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”