Could use some advice...

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
sleepyby8

Could use some advice...

Post by sleepyby8 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:22 pm

So I started Session 4 this week and I've been really working on lowering my expectations of myself and others. I haven't had a panic attack since Session 2 :D though I do experience anxiety, especially in the a.m. but am able to do some self talk and breathing exercises which helps with that. The odd thing I am experiencing now is out of the blue I will feel a little disoriented or spacey and then I'll automatically think to myself, "I am going to feel like this forever? Am I going to feel disconnected or anxious for the rest of my life." Then I start to self talk or do diaphragmatic breathing and the anxious feeling goes away but the question lingers. Isn't this odd? That I know I can keep myself from having a panic attack but that I would still wonder if I'm going to feel like this forever? Not sure what its all about. Sometimes I wonder if its because I have had trouble with this disorder in the past (my second time around on the program)? Anybody else ever get this feeling? Thanks for listening!

THH

Re: Could use some advice...

Post by THH » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:54 pm

Sleepby8,
I too have done this program "2" times. I have done so much better but like you, every now and then I get this weird thing that makes me wonder? I have learned, I have anxiety and will always have it. It is part of my make up. Also these bad thinking habits and negative self talk are so programed, they work auto pilot. It is at this point I get to choose - dwell on the negative and feel bad or find the positive and think about that and feel good. ;)
Instead of saying to your self " am I always going to be like this? " say, "I have felt pretty good most of the time." I'm having a bad day, tomorrow will be better. I'm not the best out here on changing the dialog but I get the idea and it does sound better to myself.
When I magnify my negative thoughts I feel scared but now I know this, I magnify something positive and it does make me feel better.

I know I feel better more days than I feel bad, so it has helped me alot! Before the program, I felt bad more days than I did feel good. I can only hope that the longer we practice the better it will get. Also sense you are doing expectations, it is not reasonable to think that every day is going to be a great feel good day! Just my thoughts ;)

sleepyby8

Post by sleepyby8 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:55 pm

THH...Thanks so much for your reply and you are so right that I need to change my thinking. So often I wake up in the morning and within minutes my stomach is gurgling, and I'm feeling spacey because I'm anticipating the pending anxiety and uncomfortableness of this condition. I'm definitely a glass half empty kind of gal...and I really need to work on my self talk. I guess there's a reason on I'm doing this program the second time around! (Glad I'm not the only one!)

I'm trying to tell myself that this is only anxiety and it can't hurt me and I do really well alot of the times but today was not a good day. I don't have panic attacks anymore but the anxiety can be so draining. By evening I'm always feeling pretty good and like myself...probably cause I made it through the day. I'm getting better at living in the present moment more and more but there are still times I'm constantly thinking about how I feel.

We've had alot of health issues going on in our house lately and I know that one of my biggest triggers is my health and the health of those I love. Unfortunately my 16 yr old daughter has a severe case of mono which makes me worry too much. But I think today we are seeing an improvement so I'm hoping tomorrows dr. appt will reinforce that.

Thank you again for your ideas...you were right on and I'm going to start working on that right now :) It's always helpful to know that we aren't the only ones out there feeling this way!

Carrie

mmejias35

Post by mmejias35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Like yourself, I too have anxiety in the mornings. Probably because i fear about what the day will bring and that I will have to get through it again. At night it is better because the day has ended. I tend to be very impatient with myself and notice when i have an attack it usually starts from a negative thought like "How will I get through this day? Will I have to call out of work again? when will this be over? Will i have a appetite today?" And it just goes and goes on. I am doing the breathing more and saying positive self talk. I still have panic attacks even after session 2, even after learning so much about them. That is why i decided to go with a Life Coach. I figure, for me, this may help. Even though i know i bring on the attacks and that they will end and i won't die, i still have them and still fear them. So i feel stuck. I am trying not to 'should' on myself and trying to figure out what my expectations are. I guess I am a people pleaser. And when I don't have anxiety in the mornings, I am wondering when i will. Its a vicious cycle. My only advice would be to just keep on doing the skills until they become habit. Soon you won't have to think about it. It will be automatic with the skills.

sleepyby8

Post by sleepyby8 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

mmejias35...Wow, you and I think alike lol! I guess that's not a good thing until we can get our anxiety under control! I'm back to work full time this week...my daughter finally is back to school...so of course this a.m. I wake up dreading work, sick to my stomach and wondering how I'm going to get through the long day! Not sure why I keep doing this to myself! I mean I know it is only anxiety and it can't kill me but why I am so focused on the body symptoms. Yikes. And actually today didn't go to bad...I had a few dizzy spells and some lack of appetite but I made it and I'm fine! I guess I am too hard on myself and I need to pump myself up like I did my daughter this a.m. about her going back to school after being off 3 weeks with mono.

I, too, am a people pleaser...always worried about what others think of me and not so concerned with doing what I need to do for myself. Good for you for going with a life coach! I hope you get lots of insight :)

I'm kind of stuck, too...and this is actually my second time through the program. My dr. prescribed some klonopin after having had a rough Thursday and Friday last week (two trips to the ER with our sick daughter and one of the hospitals we were at was where our 9 month old daughter died 13 years ago). I only take half of what he prescribed but it does take the edge off and helps me feel a little more like the old me. He only wants me on it for a week or two to give my body a rest so we'll see how that goes. With the medication and my working the program I am praying for a complete recovery eventually:)

My best to you! Let me know how your coaching goes...I'm curious to see if it gets you over your slump. I hope it does! If you ever want to chat feel free to email me at avonlady40@hotmail.com or private message me here.

Carrie

THH

Post by THH » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:55 pm

Sleepby8,
You are not alone in the way you think. Its hard! I too have been a glass half empty kind of girl. For me, Recognize is the hardest thing, by that I mean to feel the symptom, float and back track in your mind, what was I just thinking. Even a hour ago a day ago, what ever. Most of the time I was reliving something in the past, or anticipated in the future. Again using the programs skills, helps so much. It kind of can become a game and fun once you get to the break though stage. I still at times struggle with certain situations but am doing so much better. It is just a bad habit that I didn't even know I did!!! Like a rut but I always would ask my self how bad do you want it? That was my motivation. You are sooo not alone.
You have done great by not having panic attacks! Be kind to yourself that is a big accomplishment!
I too get to dwelling on how I feel. I have been trying to except that some days I don't feel as good as others. And that is alright. I don't have to run to "I have a tumor, or need surgery, I am sick" or some really scary thought. It is amazing how when I except I just quit dwelling. Usually I get involved in some other activity and forget about it.

I'm glad to hear your daughters doing better. :D

No wonder you were feeling so upset, going to the hospital where you lost your baby! That is so sad. I'm sorry for you. I can't imagine your loss, but I know the pain of loosing a loved one. ( I never had children )
Of course you were anxious about going to that hospital!
You are strong! So what if you still feel anxious! :D

sleepyby8

Post by sleepyby8 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm

THH...thanks for your kind reply. It's like you've know me forever! lol I think most of us struggling with anxiety are much more alike than we are different. My daughter actually got ill last night and had to go to the clinic today...I was still able to go to work, leave to take her to the clinic, and go back to work and finish my shift. I am so happy about that! She was diagnosed with gastritis :( with the possibility of H pylori...ugh. So far since March she has had pneumonia, bronchial reaction to the pneumonia with ashthma symptoms, mono, an inflammatory response to the mono, and now gastritis. All in all a rough March/April. She is showing a few signs of anxiety and this has given me more reason to learn these life skills...so that we can be healthy together.

I keep working the program...started week 6 last night. Anger isn't a big problem for me but it usually shows more at home than anywhere else.

Best to you THH...hope you had a great day!

Carrie

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”