Anybody out there using a Life Coach?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
OneMoreTry

Anybody out there using a Life Coach?

Post by OneMoreTry » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:22 pm

I've been thinking that I need some guidance regarding coping skills. I've been getting a lot of negative feedback mostly due to others dysfunction and clash of value system. I've been working on myself but find that I'm feeling trapped. Moving away and starting all over from scratch isn't an option. I was wondering if anyone out there has been using a Life Coach and did it help you to make the changes in your environment to one that is more supportive? I'd appreciate the feedback as I'm not in a financial position to "just give a try and see" and I'm feeling so burnt out and battle weary, that I'd really rather not have yet another thing blow up in my face. Any info you can give me would me much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Paisleegreen

Re: Anybody out there using a Life Coach?

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:00 am

Well, I've had a Life Coach and although helpful, the cost of one vs a Psychologist isn't too much different and I would go with the Psychologist. I got some bad advice from the Life Coach which was done via the phone. They are cheaper, and might do for basic overhaul of things, but not skilled as a Licensed Psychologist that has had years of training. Do it depends on how deep your problems are.

There are Licensed Social Workers as well that are cheaper but would have more experience to help you. If you need someone to help organize your house or life, the Life Coach would work, but understanding panic attacks and stress and anxiety, a Dr with a PHD and skilled in CBT training is the best bet. Good Luck. Paislee :mrgreen:

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:23 am

I am using a coach, and it's a great thing for me personally. I am learning to apply my skills better. It's also keeping me accountable. I want to get the most out of this program and I feel like this is the best way for me to do that. As for actually changing your environment, as in, changing the way the people around you treat you, I think that would be an unrealistic expectation to have of a coach. But they can help you to deal better with your environment. And using the skills in the program, especially in this session and the guilt and worry one, you learn how to put your dreams into realistic goals that you can attain. So they may be able to help you in planning how you can reach your ultimate goal of moving. However, the coaching isn't geared toward solving your specific worries or concerns so much as it is about learning new skills. Does that make sense?

sparechange

Post by sparechange » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:06 pm

@NeverQuit: So are you using one of the coaches from StressCenter? I've been debating whether or not to try that ever since I had my complementary session a couple weeks ago. It just seems a little expensive to me, and I already have a therapist. On the plus side, I would have the opportunity to talk to someone on a weekly basis who is my gender (male) and closer to my age. My therapist is great, but she is quite a bit older and I only see her every few weeks. Anyway, I would like to be a little more confident before I commit to spending that kind of money.

mmejias35

Post by mmejias35 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:26 pm

I just started with a Life Coach and we will have our first session in a few days. It is a lot of money but i figured, i want to be free of constant anxiety and depression. This might be what I need. I do wish for someone i can call when i am feeling depressed and be a support system for me. My family is great but they don't go through what I go through and neither does my therapist. Plus he talks more than I do. I believe that talking to someone who has "been there and back" will help me to get through this. It helps when a person gets you and you don't have to explain every damn feeling you are having. I want to take back my life and if this works for me then its worth it. I hope you receive all the help you need as well. Its not fun going through this. I wish you all the best. ;)

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:34 pm

sparechange wrote:@NeverQuit: So are you using one of the coaches from StressCenter? I've been debating whether or not to try that ever since I had my complementary session a couple weeks ago. It just seems a little expensive to me, and I already have a therapist. On the plus side, I would have the opportunity to talk to someone on a weekly basis who is my gender (male) and closer to my age. My therapist is great, but she is quite a bit older and I only see her every few weeks. Anyway, I would like to be a little more confident before I commit to spending that kind of money.
It is expensive, and I don't think it's necessary for everyone. But for me, I NEEDED that extra boost to get me going, I had gone through the program two or three times on my own and wasn't feeling the results that I thought I could with the program. Some people may be absolutely fine using the program alone, program and a therapist, whatever! I just felt like this was the best move for me personally, and I am seeing definite benefits from it for me.

natasha01

Post by natasha01 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I dont have a life coach but i do go to biofeedback and it is helping me. i am learing to rewire my brain by heart breathing and and usning an emwave maby you could look into it and see if you have one in your area i drive 80 miles to mine ( i get a ride cause i dont drive that far yet) but it is worth it to me i can see what my body is doing and what it dose when i am relaxed.
:D

pepsilover

questions for you all

Post by pepsilover » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:58 pm

What type of biofeedback? How does it work and cost? Stress life coach weekly is what $70.00 per hour? What other types of life coaches are there and where do you find one? This program still seems like alot of work? Anyone find any other good books to read?
please reply ?

I'm done for the day.
pepsilover

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”