quitting caffeine

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
sock monkey

quitting caffeine

Post by sock monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:44 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to cut back on my caffeine, I have been drinking coffee (black, strong caffeine) every day for YEARS in the morning and I always needed something to pick me up in the afternoon - another latte from Starbucks, tea, or sometimes I began drinking wine as soon as it turned 5:00. I have done well with cutting out the afternoon habit, and since I began this program a few weeks ago, I have tried to cut out the morning cup of coffee.

But I am having a hard time, I have terrible days when I don't have caffeine, my body is so tired and then I find that my thoughts wander and I become more negative and unproductive. I also think I am eating more sugar and becoming addicted to that now. Instead of my afternoon pick me up, I end up taking naps and my kid comes home from school and I say, just a little bit honey, I'll get up in just a little bit. That is not moving forward, it's worse behavior.

Do I have to completely cut out the morning coffee? Is a little bit allowed? What are the rules here?

I am not sure what to do, or how to do it, or really WHY I should do it. It's ridiculous, but I feel like I should be allowed to have something. I quit smoking cigarettes (and weed), quit drinking (except for once in a blue moon, like champagne on New Year's eve) and everything I eat is whole grain or organic, and now I have to give up coffee and all caffeine! and sugar! How can I live with nothing???

Sockmonkey
I

CJS67

Re: quitting caffeine

Post by CJS67 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:37 pm

I've drank alot of diet soda for year's. And it is hard to quit the caffiene. But I've cut down to 2 cans a day. No diet mountain dew, not it's diet pepsi. I still get times I feel tired. But I do my best to distract myself and praise myself for what I've accomplished so far. I don't think a little caffiene will hurt. But It might depend on the person.

shanleigh121

Post by shanleigh121 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:24 am

Maybe you could keep the morning coffee to help you get your energy to get started, and try to cut down the ones that follow in the day. As much as I understand the reasoning we have to cut it out of our diet, I also feel ...Its not fair. I really liked coffee with my smoking. As much as I want to be able to eat what i want, I want to feel better more, as Im sure you do too. I have tricked myself by sipping fresh decaf. At first, its the worst thing you have ever tasted, but its comforting to be able to "have" it if I want it, and after awhile, its not bad. Good Luck.

ElectrifiedBrain

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 pm

sock monkey wrote:That is not moving forward, it's worse behavior.
Actually, in this case, because you're adjusting, it's not worse behaviour. If you were doing this for years, then yes, it would be worse behaviour, but you're going through withdrawal symptoms, so your body is going to have to adjust.
sock monkey wrote:What are the rules here?
There are none. There is no one right way to quit caffeine. I would recommend that you continue drinking your morning coffee until you can handle your afternoons without needing to nap. Like I said above, you're having withdrawal symptoms, WHICH ARE OK.
sock monkey wrote:I am not sure what to do, or how to do it, or really WHY I should do it.
Because caffeine is a stimulant, which means it's a psychoactive drug. All psychoactive drugs, by definition, mess with brain chemistry.
sock monkey wrote:It's ridiculous, but I feel like I should be allowed to have something.
You can have something. You just have to figure out what to replace caffeine with.
sock monkey wrote:How can I live with nothing???
Your brain will adjust faster than you know it.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

finallyhere

Post by finallyhere » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:34 pm

I have been through severe, totally dibilitating caffein withdrawal twice in my life. To the point, the pounding headache was so bad I couldn't get out of bed. Just lay there barely breathing. The one time I sent my now-ex to the store for the largest diet coke they served, but this was after lying there for hours. After that, I have been able to limit my caffein intake. One of my tricks for success is to frequent a store that has self serve soda fountains that offers caffein and non caffein soda and coffee. I put a quarter of a cup of caffein, soda or coffee, and top it off with decaf. I am lucky that I don't crave sugar. I really enjoy fresh fruit and that's more than enough sugar for me. But sometimes I will pop a bite size candy snack, Snickers or whatever. By using that as a portion, it doesn't mess with my blood sugar, you know, the sugar high and then the crash. It would be very hard to just take one bite of a normal size candy and divide it over several days. Also, I choose baked snacks and do pay the price for the individually wrapped snack size sold in econmy size boxes. It makes it easy to keep track of the sodium, carbs, fat and sugars. On a tough day, I may have 2 bags, but at least it is still a controlled amount. This is quite an adjustment for a lot of us, but hang in there. You are reaching out and talking to others. :) Listening to everybody's ideas and perspectives has been the key to my success with the program.

junegirl

Post by junegirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 pm

I AM STILL TRYING TO CUT OUT CAFFINE TO.BUT I AM DOING IT SLOWLY.SOMETIMES I THINK I CAN NOT DO WITHOUT MY CAFFINE AT ALL.WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT?

junegirl

Post by junegirl » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 pm

IS BEING NAGIATTED A SESTOM OF WITHDROWLE FROME CAFFINE?

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 pm

I gave up coffee but now I have replaced it with hot chocolate or chocolate milk !
At least coffee didn't have any calories !
I gave up candy too, but still have not given up snack cakes !
I gave up white sugar, but not brown sugar !

I think all these things need to be done GRADUALLY, going "cold turkey" just does not work.

Wishing everyone a caffeine free year :shock:

L

keepsmilin

Post by keepsmilin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:26 pm

I sip decaf. I will allow coffee once in a blue moon as a treat. And I did cut most sugar and I eat so healthy...But now I am feeling like I NEED SOMETHING...so I do treat myself here and there with snacks and stuff....sometimes it's too much...but I also feel like I need something!!

I am trying hard to have even fake hot choc (aspartame sweetened) and it does taste bad...but it's a trick. Then, I will ease off that, too. Like my decaf eventually. I have alwaya eaten soo healthy, but I allow myself treats..I think this is NORMAL. Moderation is sometimes key...though for this program I believe it's best to not have much of sugar or caffeine....don't beat yourself up about it. Notice how much better you do feel when you have had less sugar or caffeine...even if it's the day after you didn't have much...you'll notice. I do at least. As for withdrawals...I'm sorry you're going through that..I never have....Hang in there and ease off of it would be my guess.

1) If you crave sweets...eat something salty.
2) Drink toooons of water..it flushes the system. Take vitamins.
Good Luck everyone!

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”