Lost

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Suzq29

Post by Suzq29 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 am

So I am struggling with how these DVD's are going to help me. Everytime I listen to them my heart starts racing and I get scared. I am a 29 year old female that started having my anxiety when I was 21 after I had 3 strokes and heart surgery so I am scared of everything. I feel like I am lost. In the first CD's it talks about these feelings and that they are nothing but the body feelings were real so I do not know if I am having another stroke or am just having anxiety. I need help

Dominick

Post by Dominick » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:45 am

If you're getting the heart racing and other types of anxious feelings while you're listening to the tapes then it's probably your anxiety . It's is very common to experience anxiety through this program especially in the beginning. After all you're taking on something new which can be scary. If you're still worried about your health have a doctor check you out to be on the safe side.

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:29 am

Wow 3 strokes and a heart surgery at 21. That must have caused alot of anxiety.

Well all i can say is if you said you are scared of everything then anxiety is likely to happen regardless of if you listen to the dvd's or not. You really have 2 choices in the matter. You can push through the anxiety and take measures to help reduce it and yes it will take some time to do so or you can not listen to the dvds and just continue to have the same ammount of anxiety you have for the rest of your life or until you try to correct it.

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:37 pm

You just have follow every step carefully as you go.

creamcheesepuff

Post by creamcheesepuff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:10 pm

I dont hassle myself over the tapes at all. You go at your own pace. No one is hovering over you and pressing you about it. Keep focused. Its very hard I know...to control anxiety. Thinking and worrying is considered the enemy. I deal with changing my thought pattern and FORCE my mind to think about something else. One step at a time. Its a rocky road but all you need is a shovel to clear the path and you get through sooner or later.

Goober25

Post by Goober25 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:29 pm

Sorry to hear that you are feeling lost - a feeling we are all too familiar with.

I can't help but agree with all of the other comments though. When I first started listening to the tapes 2 years ago, I was in an acute crisis of clinical depression. I remember being in the car with my mother listening to the first cd and, just like you, my heart began to race, I started hysterical crying, and had a panic attack.

However, I was able to get past the anxiety of just listening to the tapes. Each day I would try to get through the first tape a little more than the day before. It was too difficult for me to listen to it all at once. But I promise you - pace yourself. Give yourself the time and space you need to be able to stop the cd when you feel yourself getting worked up. when you calm back down, try again. You can do this - I know you can.

Please report back! Want to make sure you are hanging in there.

Bob-o Bingo

Post by Bob-o Bingo » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:29 pm

Originally posted by Suzq29:
So I am struggling with how these DVD's are going to help me. Everytime I listen to them my heart starts racing and I get scared. I am a 29 year old female that started having my anxiety when I was 21 after I had 3 strokes and heart surgery so I am scared of everything. I feel like I am lost. In the first CD's it talks about these feelings and that they are nothing but the body feelings were real so I do not know if I am having another stroke or am just having anxiety. I need help
Suzq29 -- I'm finding each Session is so different from the rest. On some of them, the tape hits me best... on others it's the workbook. Sometimes the tape AND the workbook bless me, but I never seem to know which one will do me the most good.

Maybe you should try the workbook BEFORE you listen to the tape? It might soften the impact of what the tape is saying? My latest discovery... I just realized that I had a panic attack when I was at school in third grade! Too bad I didn't know anything about panic attacks or anxiety at the time--not to mention all the methods that can be used to eliminate them!

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”