What's the difference between magical thinking and believing in God?

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
maki

Post by maki » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:02 pm

maybe im just too simple but sounds like alot of over thinking to me and yes virginia there is a Santa Claus

blessed2b

Post by blessed2b » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:44 pm

In my opinion, a crack is just a crack, two pieces of wood and a nail is just wood and nails. But GOD is creator of the universe and everything in it including the Earth, you, me, everybody, the wood and the nails.

So why would you pray to what the creator created instead of the creator himself. That would be magical thinking.

If GOD could create stars and people from nothing, he can give us what we pray for. It all depends on whether it is good for us and will lead us to Him. Because after all, people pray for what's bad for them yet hate what is good for them.

LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:25 am

Doogiet - you certainly bring up the most interesting topics. Have you ever believed in God? Do you not believe because of your anxiety and wondering why God would let you deal with something like this?

I was raised in a very Catholic family; Catholic School, heavy involvement in the church, then along came the anxiety. I questioned why and stopped going to church. I referred to myself as a Disgruntled Catholic. I questioned my faith and was sure that I did not believe in God, I mean how could there be a God with all this suffering in the world. My anxiety was not improving and my life was not going in the direction I wanted it to. I decided to give my faith another try. I started out with small prayers and eventually my faith came back. My life has definitely improved with the return of my faith.

I hope your questioning everything is a sign that you might still have some faith. Whether to pray to God or a glass of milk, why not both, both are good for you.

Lisa

karenLeigh

Post by karenLeigh » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:57 am

Hey doogiet,
I think it's great that you ask so maney questions. Lucinda says on one of the tapes...she's the one who is always asking the questions at PTA meetings, etc... That's the best way to learn! I remember when I was about where your at(session 4). I started questioning 'what do "I" believe'. I think even Carolyn says it's your 'Belief system' that your examimg this week. Something else I have learned....This program brought out alot of stuff in me. If that makes any sense? For me it's been like a journey of self discovery. I don't know if that's what it's like with everybody else but that is what it's been like for me. This is my 2nd time doing the program and I'm learning even more.
Try not to be so hard on yourself. We over think(over anaylize) eveything!! It may be hard to believe this right now, But in time you will find your answers and this program will help you do that. That's just my opinion.
Take care of yourselve :)
"Greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world".

Ariyon

Post by Ariyon » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:35 am

I've been through similar experiences and had similar thoughts to those you describe. I suggest you explore other religious/spiritual philosophies that may resonate and seem more real to you as an individual. There is a very big, intelligent world out there for you to explore. Some philosophies would never consider "petitioning the Lord with prayer," - it has nothing to do with what they believe to be possible or effective. The fact that you even take the time to write this post means that you have some questions that you want to answer for yourself. Some people see God not as an entity, but as a creative/balancing energy (they don't even tend to use the word "God".) I was in a place of not believing in any sort of God when one day I saw the most beautiful sunset imaginable and had an overwhelming desire to say "Thank you." I thought that that impulse within myself was very real and very powerful, so I set off on a journey of exploration to discover an idea of God that really worked for me. When it's come to dealing with some real emotional challenges - the death of people near and dear to me, dealing with disease - I find that I have a deep and true faith in something eternal that is even stronger than those near to me who go to church all the time and can quote every scripture.

sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:25 am

doogiet:
Ariyon's post reminded me of something I once read in an article by a Unitarian Universalist (I wish I had kept the article...so I could credit the author) that all prayers can be categorized into four basic statements. I remember best the interpretation that they gave in child's terms. The only four prayers you need are: "Thank you" "Oops" "Help" and I forget the fourth..."Wow" I think it was.

I have a very eclectic spiritual background, and I find inspiration from many sources other than (but including) the Bible: also Buddhist teachings, my children, Carl Sagan, music, the list would go on and on.

Something Wayne Dyer wrote resonated with me: "Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays." I would say, if someone prays to the bottle of milk, and that helps them find peace of mind and joy, and improves their ability to cope with whatever life throws their way, and makes them a better person/spouse/parent, then is that such a bad thing??? Feel free to PM me if you would like to dialog on this some more.

Laura R_1

Post by Laura R_1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:21 am

Magical Thinking is self explanatory. It is make beleive. It is a fanatasy. It is something that it not real but, it is a place where anything goes.

On the other hand, God is real. God is a being or spirit that you can trust. One who does listen to our needs. One who we can run to when we need help and even when we do not. It may not be that we get what we want but, there is a reason for everything. I believe that I have anxiety and depression because I have not learned to accept reality.. I really beleive if that if I allow yself to be guided by God, I will find my peace. I am learning to take ny time and not blow everything out of proportion. Of course, some days are better than others but, things will not always be bad if we allow are selves to absorb all the information and to really practice.

James K

Post by James K » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:33 am

Something Wayne Dyer wrote resonated with me: "Prayer does not change God, but it changes him who prays."
Dear Sleepless: Good Quote. Your comments reminded me of the "Higher Power" idea from 12-step groups. Whether you "go" to a Being, to Buddha, to the Universal Source, or to a nearby pine tree, the prayer helps YOU.

Bob-o Bingo

Post by Bob-o Bingo » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:31 am

Originally posted by doogiet:
. . . what's the difference between magical thinking and prayer? On the one hand I could believe, "If I step on a crack I'll break my mother's back" and on the other hand I could believe, "If I nail these two pieces of wood together and want something really hard, it will happen."

I don't mean to insult anyone's faith, but aren't these the same thing? . . .
Confused and looking for guidance...

There is a tremendous difference between magical thinking and prayer. You already know that magical thinking is false--stepping on a crack won't break your mom's back, the number 13 isn't back luck, knocking on wood won't bring good luck, crossing your fingers doesn't work, etc. They're all superstitions--or otherwise there would be a lot of very rich people at the betting tracks winning lots of horse races... and I haven't seen a bunch of millionaires there.

But questioning GOD... whether he's real or not. THAT'S a significant thing to ponder! You can go about finding the answer to your question in many ways. Google "does God exits?" or "is God real." You should find a lot of thought-provoking things there.

Or you could simply find a quiet place and ask God a quiet prayer... and wait for the answer! I have heard some marvelous true stories about how God answered prayers from people who wanted to know if he was real.

God is either real or he doesn't exist. This is a simple "black or white" question, and I know you can find the answer if you simply keep asking the right questions (Questions are more important than answers, because you have to ask the right questions to get the right answers!) May God bless you as you seek him with all of your heart, mind and strength!

peeppeep

Re: What's the difference between magical thinking and belie

Post by peeppeep » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:39 pm

i feel like believing something exists is not problematic, however, expecting things is. prayer as i understand it shouldn't come with expectations. possibly requests but the deity provides as he/she/whatever sees fit. however with magical thinking, wishes are granted, etc. also, perhaps becoming so engrossed in magical thought that reality takes a backseat is the problem. many are engrossed in religion but it does not negatively affect their perception of reality.
not sure if this makes any sense at all, cold medicine makes creating complete thoughts a bit of a challenge :shock:

also, i very much agree with NinjaFrodo. believing in magical thinking is sort of lying to yourself, denying your logic

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”