Read this!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Ed Winslow

Post by Ed Winslow » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:49 am

Thanks for stopping by. I would really appreciate your comments.

Chapter 4 was helpful but the first 3 really didn't teach me anything I didn't already know.

Chapter 5 about food and fitness is something I practice already. It's real simple, stay away from white flour and sugar and get exercise daily.

Exercise actually makes me feel too good and gets me all reved up. It gets me way to high then I crash.

So how has this program helped you? Am i going about it wrong? I am not seeing the results. Does it mean I'm too far gone to benefit?

How is it going for you?

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:33 am

Ed:
I have had Anxiety since I was 6 years old. I am 47 now and I thought I knew it all too in the first few sessions. But, I took the sessions one at a time and a week at a time as directed and I really got a whole lot of help from the first 5 sessions. Things I was not aware of or things I had to reflect on differently.
If you just started on Aug 25 of this year then you are moving way too fast. Patience is the main underlying theme for this program. You must exercise Patience as well. I am on session 11 and I can say this program has helped me but I have had to go back and review previous sessions as I go along. This helps tremendously. The only one I skipped was Session 1 because they told me on the phone I could. (I have gone back and done it as well later on) The rest I Must do 1 week at a time. (Practicing, Homework, Workbook, CD's and DVD's). This is a 15 week course and practicing Patience is the only way you will be able to benefit from this program. Hope this helps. God Bless! Wayne

Marie85

Post by Marie85 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:21 am

Hi Ed. Wayne's advice to you is excellent!
Well, I've said this before on other posts, and I will say it again here. I am a therapist with a real license, and I went to a real medical/allied health care university, and I have two real post grad degrees, one in counseling. I've been in the field 30 years. I know all this stuff. I know some of it right down to who first thought of the theory, how long ago, and which theoretical approaches to treatment have the most success in the field. Doesn't matter, I still slipped in to a depression that took over my life. I didn't even buy this program for myself. It was for a friend who wouldn't take time to use it. Out of curiosity I listened to the first CD. Then I read the guidebook. Something made me decide to work this program. What's different? I decided to really do this stuff. Listen, do the homework, apply it to your life every day, all the time. I began to notice my thinking changing, and that was the clue I needed to stay with it. We can get degrees to hang all over the wall, and we can work in a nice office wearing white coats, fixing what's broken that we fix (my specialty is upper extremity injuries, I work with surgeons). But, we don't have to change our destructive thinking. When we HURT and suffer a lot, we might decide to change our thinking. This program will help you if you decide to stop approaching it as if it is just a learning thing. I learned this stuff years ago. It only helps you when you DO it. I hope that helps you understand how you can get results.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:28 am

Thanks for response. I guess I should listen to Session 4 again about expectations. My problem is that either I'm down stuck in the mud or I'm revved up going 200mph. I try to take advantage when I'm cranking, I get tons of work done.

This has been a life long thing though only in the past few years did i realize.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:38 am

Have you thought of possibly going back and starting the whole program over? I think you are missing the point of the program. Maybe I am wrong. Just a thought. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 am

Thanks Pecos

About 4-5 months ago I stopped drinking alcohol. Not because I'm an alcoholic but because I'm building an internet business and want my head clear.

As a result I feel too good all the time. I can't sleep since I stopped and wake up frequently at 2:00 - 3:00 am and wide awake so I start working out then get on the computer and work til I can't focus.

Then I crash for a day or 2 then the cycle begins. There is little balance, the winds are seldom calm.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:57 am

Have you had a full blood chemistry work up recently?
Sometimes in my life I have looked for reasons for things when they were actually right in front of me. It could simply be that you are having a good time with your new business, and you work until you crash. I don't know. If I were you, I'd start with my doctor. ;)

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:30 am

I'm going to start over. This up and down thing is wearing. I just turned 51. I could easily handle it when I was younger.

Years ago I would organize these competitions where we would start out at 7:00 am and have sports competitions all day. We'd start with a 5 mile run, the a 3 mile swim, then biking, tennis, windsurfing until about 7:00 pm then we would go out and drink. The last one standing was the winner.

I still do it with my business. I have this attitude that I will beat everyone because I can outwork you.

It's taken years to learn why I do this. I'm doing it again with this program. Trying to do 15 sessions in a week.

I guess I'll try and start over. I've been like this now for at least 40 years.

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:54 am

Been to the Docs, even the most best and most expensive. They don't help. They did get me stuck on Celexa & Neuroton which I can't get off.
Physically I'm in great shape. No imbalances in my blood, I work out and am strong.

I can still ski, windsurf, tennis, golf but sort of lost interest.

It runs in my family on my mothers side.

Textbook Bi-Polar? Can this program really be the cure? I've run out of self help books to read.

tweaky1h

Post by tweaky1h » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:38 pm

I surely hope you start this program over. Whatever you have to do to make yourself stay within the guidelines, do one session per week. This program can help you, but you are going to have to exert a bit more time on the self discipline issue! One session per week and do the homework! They didn't include the guidebook for scenery in the box ;). I sincerely wish you the best.

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”