My own worst enemy sometimes!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
kitty365

Post by kitty365 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:07 am

Hi all,
My name is Trina, I'm not new, just trying to keep up with the program. I started in October of last year and am only up to lesson six about anger. But, I keep checking back and working on this as much as I can. The holidays set me way back.

I need some self esteem boosting right about now. Lately, I've been much better with the anxiety and so proud of myself, but my self esteem falls back sometimes.

I went to visit a friend who is sick today. It has snowed here today and there is a few inches on the ground. I drove to her house, happy and feeling great. I was singing out loud to a favorite song and not paying attention as I pulled in her driveway. I backed out thinking that her husband may need to leave, and I proceeded to park on the street by her mailbox. Still singing out loud and not paying attention, I parked and checked to make sure I was close to the curb,

I spent an hour in her house and when I left I made the startling discovery that I had parked straight in front of her neighbors driveway!!!!!
I felt so stupid. Thankfully I do not think they were home. Anyway, I drove home kicking myself for being so absentminded.

Anyone else struggle with beating themselves up. I swear I was ready to have my head examined for what I did. I cannot beleive i did that!
Blessings to all, Trina

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:43 am

Just be glad no one was hurt and you didn't get a ticket! Everyone does something every day they really don't mean to do! Besides, we're not responsible for others' reactions, only our own, right?

In HIs Name

Nanny

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm

I also have the tendency to beat myself up over silly things that may have just happened or may have happened years ago. I have come to realize it's my negative/ perfectionistic/ controling personality rearing its ugly head trying to sabatage (?sp) my present moment. I am getting better with asking myself what's really bothering me but sometime like tonight I can just get stuck in it.Then I think hey tommorrow is another day. I'm entitled to having a bad moment and I try to let it go. So get busy and try to distract yourself, which I'm going to try right now. Good luck.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:56 pm

Yeah I know how you feel. Try not to feel so bad though. I do that kind of stuff some ;)times too.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Trina....everyone has done stuff like that. I backed up into my accountant's car parked directly behind me in my own driveway like a dummy because Im not used to ever having anyone else parked there. there was no damage and he just laughed, so I laughed and didnt feel so bad.

like lesson 3 (which i just finished) said, if you are feeling bad, it's because you are thinking negativly about it. I think it was pretty cute.....the worst that would happen was the guy would knock on the door and ask you to move. No biggie. Don't sweat it. Just think, I need to remember to turn the radio off when Im parking!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Trina , it's nothing to beat yourself over. It happens to the best of us. (only if I can tell myself that) At least you are driving. You should use some positive reinforcement when you feel you are not living upto your expectations, or did something wrong, etc.

1.You are driving which is a great thing, esp since some ppl (like myself) fear driving itself.

I gave up on driving ever since I tested my brothers car a long time ago. I was learning to drive (but never did) I was driving, and stopped the car to park. Unfortunately, I only realized I did not STOP the car to Park mode! Luckily the car was parked crookedly and went slightly off into the sidewalk, instead of going goodness knows where) I never attempted driving after that incident.

(but I will soon hopefully)

Good Luck!! (your story does not compare to mine)

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”