going down the path of anxiety

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Tweety4_9

Post by Tweety4_9 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

In Session 4 Lucinda says that you must put yourself in the situations that make you anxious so that you can overcome the anxiety. My question is, "can you go to far with that?" Example is if I have an extremely hard time being alone, even at home or especially driving, then should I go 3 hours from home and stay overnight somewhere by myself? OR should I work my self in slowly, like testing the waters.....

I know i know, there's 2 shoulds in there and we are supposed to evaluate the shoulds but I really feel as if I'm expecting too much from myself right now and really don't know what to expect....

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:37 am

tweety,
I know just thought of what luncinda is saying is scarey! Because of your anxiety. I took that to mean, do something your afraid of doing, even if your afraid, and use the skills youve learned so far to keep you there without running!
Like the for example: being alone at home...make sure you have something to help distract your thoughts while being alone.. Clean, or cook something or try a hobby,, anything to help your mind realize you are perfectly OKAY alone at home! If yur driving? take a cd with you, one from the program or a music cd you love! Drive as far as you can,, be proud you got that far even being uncomfortable, then return home... The more you do these things, the less your symptoms will become.... Nelly:)

sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:05 am

Tweety4_9:
In my opinion, baby steps...first try so many hours at home (more than you are used to) alone, or try driving short distances alone at first. I think it would be asking for trouble to all of a sudden go 3 hours from home to a hotel room alone! I think the main point is to do what scares you, so you see you can live through it...not to come up with the most challenging thing and try to do that first.

LeeAnn Sanzo

Post by LeeAnn Sanzo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:42 pm

Tweety, Yes I think baby steps ..then work into more of what you can handle..I'm afraid of driving and being home alone..alot of times I try to make sure my daughter or someone is home with me, but last week I actually stayed by myself for an hour and a half..which is the most I've been alone in a long time, so for me this was a baby step..yes I had anxiety, I was feeling very dizzy..and I started to have negative thoughts..like I'm going to pass out..but actually I was on this forum at the time..and I put the timer on for 15 minute increments and just thought I'll just get through the first 15 minutes and so on and before I knew it someone came home and I made it through it..I also have to work on driving and also have a fear of going too far from my house..even just to visit family..But with that too I'm just going to start out with small steps and work up to more than that.
marie123

Tweety4_9

Post by Tweety4_9 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:13 am

thanks guys, I will do the baby steps. It's so hard for me because it was only a few months ago that i might have been just nervous being alone or driving but all of the sudden it was as if the rug was ripped from underneath me and everything has changed. I really do expect a lot from myself and I know that I need to change that as well...

Grateful,
Tweety

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”