some success from lowering expectations..

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
dave_canada

Post by dave_canada » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:32 am

I find this week really quite interesting and challenging. It offers a way to see yourself and the stress we self impose. I really think it is amazing. However, I would like to share with you all a little story that has to do with the peace I felt this morning.

I have to awake very early to get to work and sleep downstairs to avoid waking my family. I woke up at 4:00 AM, with my IPod playing my mountain stream sounds and a small lamp glowing on my face. I want to try to describe what I felt in words, but I feel I may fall short. The feeling was one of strength, love and true acceptance. I felt as though the lamp was the sun and it shone warmth and love onto me. I had no anxiety during this, no fears or scary thoughts, just love and warm feeling. I hung onto this feeling as I went to work, I have wanted this peaceful feeling for months now and I got a taste of it. I have been slowing down and focusing on lowering my own expectations. This alone brings more peace to my life.

I wanted to share all of this with my friends, because I know now, that peace is within us, we just have to adjust our ways. Follow the course and the anxietys fall off one by one. Life is good and will be for all of us.

Dave

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:19 am

Congrats to you!!! I really liked reading your post. I have trouble trusting the good times and the good feelings, and reading your post was a reminder to stay in the moment and relax. Thank you for sharing.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:18 am

That is great that you are finding peace. Those moments are what makes life wonderful.

Glass

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:50 am

Since completing the program, I've actually had those moments and yes they are wonderful. Unfortunately, sometimes, not all, I have to struggle with thinking something bad is around the corner to burst my bubble--but, I am successfully working on this.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:37 pm

I haven't had that peaceful revelation yet..but that sounds wonderful..now I have something to look forward to..I just have to remember that..peace is within us, we just have to adjust our ways. Follow the course and the anxietys fall off one by one..Life is good and will be for all of us..I like that ..I'm going to hang that on my fridge..also, today I received a nice note from my church that they were thinking of me and praying for me..makes me feel good that I'm not forgotten..

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Hey yeah!
That does sound wonderful. I am getting better at relaxing and I have tried not to stress on expectations-but it's hard. It's also really hard to slow down. I find my expectations and my anxiety are really crazy when I'm in traffic and I cannot sipmly wait for someone to move their car. My face starts to become warm. Slowing down and not expecting anything is something I definitely need to work on in all ways. Thanks for your posting,

Katie

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:44 am

That is a really nice story! Once in awhile I feel peaceful moments and they are nice.
Like I always tell myself when I am feeling good or I am at a park or some place and I am having a good time I say to myself Treasure the Moment:)

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:55 am

Your post is so inspiring. I just started session 4 today. I was hesitant. I felt great getting through session 3 I wasn't ready now to commit to session 4. But what an awesome session it is. I do have a challenge with life being unfair.....that struck home with me. Acceptance of things I can not change. Alot like the AA serenity prayer. I have come to realize that when I don't fill my plate I leave room for positive opportunities not overwhelming disappointments...I love the should aspect....that is so realistic and so truthful...........

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”