I am afraid I am going to have to start taking medication

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
Tracey G

Post by Tracey G » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 am

I am on week 4 and spent the first part of the week fighting the fact that I have to change the way I think and not expect so much from other people. I was angry because of course I do not like being told I am wrong or I need to change.

This was the hardest week since starting the program and I am afraid I am going to need the medication to help me get through it.

I have some good days where I make goals for myself and evaluate whether or not I am being reasonable or overreacting. Saturday I totally overreacted and had a meltdown. My kids have told me that they see me unhappy alot because I cry alot good day or bad! On the other hand I am sleeping well enough, eating good and have days I am successful these are usually the days I have confidence in myself.

I am petrified that I will need medication. Is this something I can overcome without it??

krtasch

Post by krtasch » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:37 pm

YES YOU CAN DO THIS!! Being on or off medicine is perfectly fine. It is only week four and we are just starting to really learn the tools we need to overcome anxiety. Does it really matter if you are on medication? Is this a high expectation you are putting onto yourself? Once I let go of all the anxiety about my medication I found to be much less stressed. I ended up not even having to take medication. I always thought that having to overcome anxiety meant no meds because thats "perfect". I soon realized that meds or no meds, nothing is perfect. Keep working and do what you can in the program, it sounds like you are, just try not to lose faith. It will work and you can do it.

designkid

Post by designkid » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:12 am

Tracey,

It's perfectly natural to feel more anxious and frustrated at this point in the program. You're actually facing everything straight on! Instead of hiding from your feelings you're dealing with them. Give yourself permission to feel this way.

Also, medication is a tool if you need it. Sometimes people need a bit of help just calming down and clearing their heads enough to be able to absorb and work on the program. Then they wean off the medication. Whether you decide to use medication or not, it's up to you. It is there if you need it but only if you choose that path.

Just know that there is nothing wrong with you for feeling a little more angry and frustrated, especially if the program is discussing something you really don't want to hear. Take your time. Listen slowly. Focus on the good days you've been having! We all fall off the wagon. What matters is that we get back up :)

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:08 am

Tracey G

The program is not telling you that you should change or that you are wrong. However, that is a very common perception when anybody suffers with depression. Negative thoughts and feelings Always come with depression.

Is there anybody forcing you to go through the program? Is anybody forcing you to change? And how committed are you to continue to live at the satisfaction level you are at now?

The program helps us to see more logically. What is it that you do if you don't like the tv channel that you are watching? Don't settle for watching a crappy tv show! You deserve better than that.

The program is more like a beautiful trail in the woods that is outline in roses and precious gem stones and it leads to that person who you'd like to become.

It isn't a drill sergent that gets pleasure out of working you as hard as he can.

What is it that petrifies you about medication?

Mike
Here is the link to the Letting Go thread which is designated for venting
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 52&t=25087

You can follow me on Twitter, same username or check out my blog

http://ninjafrodo.blogspot.com/

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”