Re: Hard to stay focused!

Do you have such high expectations of yourself and others that you’re constantly disappointed? Learn how to have realistic, reasonable expectations and be happier than you’ve ever been before.
stevecat

Post by stevecat » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 am

Hey everyone! I've been kind of slcking lately. I will occassionally try to listen to the tapes or watch one of the videos, but not on a regular basis. My mom and I went for a walk yesterday which was nice. I've also been reading a lot of dog training books which is something I am interested in. I feel less stressed than I did when I first started, but I have not been motivated to do the program for some reason. Maybe I am expecting too much from myself. That is what this section is all about. One of the big stressors that I have is that of the animal shelter I volunteer at. I have become really involved in the dog walking since I graduated college in May. It helps since I don't work a lot and can't find a job that I want. There are three levels of dogs at the shelter and they won't train me to do the hardest level. I have to walk past these dogs and say "I'm sorry" and many of these dogs are the ones that are getting mouthy, having behavior problems and being put down. Maybe I am expecting too much, but it's a life and death issue. How can you expect too much? Any advice or thoughts would be great. This is where I am at right now. Thanks,

Katie

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:03 am

Hi Stevecat.

Couldn't you get training for that level somewhere else? You have to understand that the business would be responsible if something bad happened to you while you were training dogs, without proper training yourself. They have to protect themselves from lawsuits. I know that those dogs need someone but there are steps that you have to take before you can get to those dogs. It's sad, but that's just the way it is.
Last edited by deedee00 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:47 am

I volunteered at an animal shelter for 3 years and walked dogs also. Every shelter has different rules. The larger dogs were only allowed to be walked by people that could handle them. There's also a lot of politics going on in some of the shelters and it gets very frustrating sometimes. Have you asked them why they won't train you to walk a certain level dog? Do they think you are too small physically to be able to handle a large aggressive dog? I usually picked out an older or hard to place dog that I knew would not be getting adopted right away and stuck with them for hours at a time on a regular basis until they were adopted. I know your frustration though, I've been there.

~Noelle~

Post by ~Noelle~ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Hey you two! Thanks for your messages. I have never owned a dog, so it is hard for me to correct behaviors that I don't understand. Even the dogs that I can walk I have problems with at times. I am getting better, but I am doing it on my own and at times I feel as though I am treading water. Even if they wouldn't want me to walk the level three dogs, going through the training would maybe help me with the level two dogs and then I could maybe be able to walk the others. One of the staff people told me that they don't feel I have the calm assertive energy that the level three dogs need. I even asked if I could go along with a level three walker if the staff didn't have time or if a level three walker could come with me when I walk dogs to give me some additional training. It never went anywhere. I am reading dog training and care books and will be getting a dog. It just feels like nobody is willing to help me succeed and this is not somthing I feel comfortable enough to progress on my own and something I want to progress in b/c I want to someday work with dogs. I am a small person, four foot eleven, but I can cotrol many big dogs. It's just certain dogs and cetain behaviors. Sorry if this is getting long winded. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks,

Katie

Shal416

Post by Shal416 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:32 pm

Have you tried other shelters or rescue places? Rescue shelters always need volunteers. There are also classes you can take to learn how to train dogs. You really have to search for these though.For some reason they don't seemed to be advertised very well. As for one on one training by an individual I've had problems finding someone to help me with this too. You could try contacting a private dog trainer and offer to pay for lessons from them in dog training. Check the schools in your area for animal behavior classes too.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:44 am

Hey Mary! Thanks for the advice. I do volunteer with a rescue as well and the guy does let me do more than the shelter does. The dogs are mainly pit bull mixes which are my favorites to wprk with. The problem with the rescue is he will just bring a dog into the yard and it will come flying at me. I feel more secure with the dogs at the shelter b/c I have immediate control over them when I put on their leash. I like the rescue b/c it is helping me to relax more, but I am intimidated at times. I asked one trainer about getting dog training, but she says you have to take your own dog through the program before she will train you to be a volunteer. I will hopefully be getting a dog this summer so maybe that will be an option. I guess this is where the expect less get more comes in. It's just so hard to not be able to do more for the shelter dogs at this time. I am also having a hard time finding an animal job b/c of lack of work experience in the field. I also get discouraged and there are weeks where I will go with out even trying to find a job. This May it will be a year since I've graduated from college and I have a part time job working with people who disabilities that I have had in the past. My dad says that I need to get a job soon or people will look at me like "what have you been doing for this past year." This makes me worry and feel a little stressed. Well anyway, thanks for your responses and these are all very good suggestions. I will just have to keep pluging away and try not to get discouraged. Thanks,

Katie

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:59 am

Good luck. Sounds like you have looked into a lot of different options. When you get your dog you will be on your way! Note- volunteering at a zoo helps also to get some experience. Although they won't let you actually work with the animals unless you have a degree in the field it at least gives you an opportunity to get familiar with animal behavior. Every bit of experience helps.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 am

Hey Mary Wargo!

Thanks again for your feedback. I think volunteering at the zoo sounds like a good experience. I have thought about working with wild animals, I bet there is more schooling options for that. But right now I am more interested in work with domesticated animals. But it couldn't hurt to check it out. I've thought about working with capuchin monkeys (sp?). Well thanks for all of your imput,

Katie

Return to “Session 4 - Expectations: How to Expect Less and Get More”