negative / positive music

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am

Well, I like this topic and thought I would add that some of the best music for the soul comes from non musicians, or should I say, natural musicians.

I found that smooth jazz is very good, but.. I found an even more relaxing natural music.

I am now listening to nature. Mountain Streams, Beach ocean waves, campfire nature sounds.

I find this really therapeutic and also helps me at my job. Even when I go to sleep, I find this is so peaceful and natural for me to sleep by.

Sometimes nature plays a really nice piece of music herself!

Dave

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:03 am

Happy music makes me happy. Sad music makes me sad. SO I am very effected by it. Music comforts me also. Make it go away is a song that makes me cry but it is just how I feel about my anxiety.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:26 pm

What a cool topic! There is so much truth in what everyone's said. I recently taught a unit on the origin of music and learned that the ancient Greeks believed different modes(scales)directly affected human behavior.

For the last couple of weeks I've been listening to G. Barkley's "Crazy" on the way to work, and it puts me in a good mood because it makes me laugh (so I'm a little nuts, who cares?!).

I was also just thinking of organizing my ipod into relaxation, work out, and feel good music. Some of my favorites are S & G's "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes," "In the Sun" (M Stipe with Coldplay), U2's "Yahweh." Oh, and whoever mentioned B. Marley's "Here Comes the Sun"- thanks, I'd forgotten about this one.

fischee

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Hi Everyone!
I know this post hasn't been added to in awhile, but I'd like to pick it back up by saying that you all had some really interesting things said and some great ideas and song titles...I am an elementary music teacher, and there have been scientific studies that music is the only discipline which affects every single part of our brain chemistry. Interesting?...amazing how the many moods of music definitely contribute to our anxiety or lack thereof. :-) We should probably all think twice before listening to that song on the radio...Is it going to pull us up or push us back down? As I tell my students, "what we put in is definitely going to find it's way out in some way." Music is very powerful, and can be very helpful for us as well. I loved the post about starting to compose songs/rhythmic chants based on Lucinda's strategies...what a great idea--and incredible reinforcement to our minds!! :-)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:23 pm

WOW fischee! I love Simon and garfunkle's Diamonds on the soles of her shoes and Here comes the sun by the many different artists that recorded it; and there were LOTS. lol :)

But anytime I'm feeling down, all I have to do is listen to It's a beautiful morning By The Rascals, and I'm alright.

keithjoy

Post by keithjoy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Morten Harket from A-ha stated that he never listened to music for entertainment reasons. And over time I must agree for myself, I now only listen to music that gets deep inside of me. Though some of the songs I listen to may not be about a "happy" topic, overall the song is quite the positive note. I love A-ha, they are some of the most beautifully amazing artists ever in my opinion.

LovePhob

Post by LovePhob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:09 pm

I have noticed the same thing just in the past couple weeks. I used to listen to really heavy rock and roll with a lot of negative lyrics. Yesterday on the drive home from work I pulled out a CD and popped it in and I was really annoyed with it. I think that music does have the power to influence your mood tremendously. Words have impact. Its no wonder I was so negative and angry in the past...its all I ever listened to!
Lately I have found myself drawn to more melodious music. Lots of soft rock from the 70's.

~Zee~

Post by ~Zee~ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Oh yeah, can anyone suggest any CD's that have long playing nature sounds? No music accompanyment...just like thunderstorms or waterfalls or forest sounds.

Paige...

Post by Paige... » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:09 pm

I just bought a Timex CD and radio player to have next to my bed for the relaxation audios and it has nature sounds built in. Ocean, frogs, crickets,birds, and bell chimes.
[COLOR:PURPLE][B]~ Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. ~[/B][/COLOR]

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Wow that is interesting...Come to think of it anytime I would start feeling low and sorry for myself I would put on sad songs and songs that invoke a spirit of depression to wallow over me. I am going to try to listen to more positive music now. I love music, but I want to make sure I listen to the right kind to uplift my soul.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”