negative / positive music

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm

After going through the negative/ postive session and listening to all the negative around me, I was shocked by the music I listened to: depressing, hopeless, guilt-ridden, self-loathing, bitter, hateful, angry, etc. Nine Inch Nails, Seether, Kid Rock, etc.
I listened to that music constantly, knew the words, heard it in my head over and over.
I have no doubt that it only contributed to and worsens my anxiety/ depression-- how could it not??

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:41 pm

I play drums and listen to just about any type of music. Sometimes music I'm listening can trigger a time when things weren't going so good and that can lead to negative thoughts and thinking. Playing is such a positive outlet for me that it balances me out and brings the creative side out, and that is very satisfying.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:24 pm

I have noticed that music does play a role in mood mood. I usually listen to upbeat music when I am feeling down because it's uplifting and I can relax and focus more on the music.

Post by Guest » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:15 am

I really love this group. Just when I feel like I am so depressed an anxious and I don't know if things will get any better, I come to this forum and I am comforted and inspired. I listen to "Beautiful Day" by U2. It really made me feel better just this very moment. Infact I'm listening to it right now with tears of relief and happiness in my eyes. It is so easy to get stuck in a rut and to feel hopeless but there is still that hope that is there even if we don't think it is. We will all have good and bad days and when I'm having a bad day like I am today I will always come here to help me remember.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:36 am

What a great post. I like to call myself a recovering negaholic because I have a tendency to turn anything into a negative on the inside. LOL

Right now I feel like I am really sensitive to particular words, events etc. The music I tend to listen to now is basically instrumental. That way I can't get caught in the words to take me down a negative path.

I am a writer/musician as well and when I am done with this anxiety, I am going to dedicate my free time to writing music to help people with this disorder. I believe music can heal in so many ways, it should be integrated into the philosophies that Lucinda projects.

I have already used it to help me calm down from my scary thoughts. I made a little jingle up about it. "It's only anxiety, scary thoughts won't bother me". I sing that to myself when I have a scary thought and it soothes me.

Thank you for the wonderful post. Music is close to the soul and I believe it will and does play a part in my recovery.

Dave

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:40 am

I was just thinking about the music thing this morning, and now came across this post! I am sure music has an effect on our mood. I mostly listen to contemporary Christian music, which for the most part is very positive and helpful.

There is also some music I have had to stop listening to. For example, in my younger days I loved Jimmy Buffet (yes, I was a "Parrot Head"!) Those were the best of times, but I was also addicted to alchohol and bad relationships, and was not at a good place in my life. Now, whenever I hear a Jimmy Buffett song, it takes me right back to that place. At first I love it, and I sing along and it makes me happy. Then I find myself REALLY craving a beer!! So I have chosen not to listen to him anymore.

There is one song that I have been playing a lot since I started Lesson 3. It's a song by Billy Joel called "All About Soul." It's how I would like to be known; and how I want to think about myself. I often tell myself when my thoughts get negative or if I am in a negative situation, "It is well with my soul, it is well with my soul."

Anyway, just thought I'd pitch in -- great thread!

Maureen

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 am

What a great topic! I actually made a decision this weekend to switch the type of music I listen to in the car. I think a lot of my anxiety and irritability begins while I'm driving, and I've always listened almost exclusively to hard rock music. I thought it made me feel energized, but I've come to realize that it's actually putting me into a hyper and impatient state of mind. I too have also been a fan of really dark and depressing music such as Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, etc., probably because I could really relate to their angst/anger.

So as of yesterday I made a rule that I can only listen to the Smooth Jazz radio station in the car. So far I'm sticking with it and it does seem to keep me much more relaxed.

Gman5256

Post by Gman5256 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:15 pm

Wow, it's funny you started this topic. At work we have a radio playing in the background all the time. After breaking up with my boyfriend "apologize" would seem to play constantly everywhere I went. I now have some nice coping skills to drown out the words and be ok with being single, not taking everything I hear in the song so personally. I have also started to focus on the words of more positive songs, realizing that these people are singing of actual experiences to millions everywhere and I am not the only one going through something like this at this moment. My Ipod has been a huge help in cleaning around the house, exercising in the morning, fixing dinner for myself, etc. I am able to listen to pick-me-up music as opposed to listening to the news or being in total silence (where my thoughts really run wild). I definitely think music is a powerful contributor of how we feel, think, and ultimately act.
All for His praise, glory and the joy it gives Him.

Hugs, In His Love >:D<

Gman9259
"He who dwells in the secret place of the most
high shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

honeydew3

Post by honeydew3 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:33 pm

I know that music makes a difference for me. I have a hard time listening to jazz, because I always feel like my brain is already moving at that pace, and adding the jazz music to it just overloads my mind.

I'm not familiar with a lot of classical music, but I love the Pachelbel Canon and Claire de Lune; both are very relaxing for me. I enjoy listening to Broadway show tunes; they generally lift my spirits. Of course, some spiritual music does that for me too, but not all of it.

I heard on the radio last month that babies in a hospital nursery were generally found to be quieter and happier during the month of December. The theory was that this happened because the hospital PA system played Christmas carols during that time, and those songs are all written in a certain way (major keys, no minor keys? I can't remember)so that they have the effect of lifting everyone's spirits.

BFG

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:49 am

Well, I like this topic and thought I would add that some of the best music for the soul comes from non musicians, or should I say, natural musicians.

I found that smooth jazz is very good, but.. I found an even more relaxing natural music.

I am now listening to nature. Mountain Streams, Beach ocean waves, campfire nature sounds.

I find this really therapeutic and also helps me at my job. Even when I go to sleep, I find this is so peaceful and natural for me to sleep by.

Sometimes nature plays a really nice piece of music herself!

Dave

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”