negative / positive music

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
osunrisedancer

Post by osunrisedancer » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:59 am

I was wondering if anyone has reconsidered the music they listen to. After listening to lesson 3 I was going pop a cd in and realized that most of my music is really negative... does anyone think that music plays an important role in how we think?? And who thinks it's not very important..

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:35 am

I think music can be a great tool to help relax you. Whenever you feel anxious, put on something light like a relaxing jazz tape. If you feel down, put in some fun, upbeat tunes or some old favorites that remind you of happy times. I read that music can affect your brain waves and depending on what you listen to, can change how you feel emotionally to some extent.
I agree with you totally!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:57 pm

I've noticed that since I started having anxiety and panic attacks, that the music I listen to is changed somewhat. I've always been the kind of person that can listen to almost any kind of music, now I have a hard time listening to just anything. I can't listen to the new dance music that's out, there is something about it that makes me really anxious, and real heavy metal that I listened to when I was younger, just makes me nervous now. I know it's weird, and it kind of stinks. I now listen to a lot of easy listening, some country, and oldies, and of course my 80's music. One song that makes me feel real good is, " I Can See Clearly Now ". I always listen to it when I'm feeling down. 70's easy listening ( AM radio) makes me feel good too. So, what I'm trying to say is that I know from experience that music can affect your moods and anxiety.

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:24 pm

When I was really down in the dumps I had to stay away from all negitive music, even music that I loved. It just brought me down to dispare. I even put my guitar up for twelve weeks when I started the program. I did finally get it back out of the closit. I did start to listen to some blue music again and even play some again. It is the state of mind I am in that determends what I choose to play and listen to. I listen to my body and mind. There are days that I just need to stay away from sad, or blue music. Other times i'm ok with it.
I have lerned to control my emotions and not let them control me. Sometimes in order to do that I need to stay away from certain music and avoid certain people also.
Glass

Bees4me

Post by Bees4me » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:45 pm

hi! My music preference has not changed. However my choice in movies have changed! I prety much only feel confortable watching comedy and love stories now.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:20 am

I think the music we listen too is very important. Some music I listen to triggers me to think negatively or to be sad. I try to listen to more up beat music most of the time but sometimes find myself sliding back into the poor me my life sucks music.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:00 am

I love music. I also think music in itself can be very therapeutic & instrumental in our recovery.

W/ me - when anxiety was 1st triggered - I needed to learn/get myself to a place where I WASN'T AFRAID TO ACKNOWLEDGE ANY RESPECTIVE FEELINGS I MAY HAVE HAD + FEEL THEM + RESOLVE THEM. I used music for that. Songs such as : NO MORE DRAMA - Mary J. Blige or COMING OUT OF THE DARK - Gloria Estefan, just to name a few. I didn't use these songs to WALLOW OR DWELL - I simply used them as a VESSEL - get the emotions out, so I was not afraid to acknowledge they were there.

Now, 2 1/2 yrs later, fr when anxiety 1st triggered - my anxiety is doing very well, I am experiencing some depression - no big deal. I listen to great music - pep you up music, ALL VARIETIES. I love Kareoke, lol.

I think music can be a tool for us all.

LENORE

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Everyone,

Music is good for your soul and can at times make you happy, sad, excited or depressed. I find that if I am listening to a song any song that is on the radio it tends to get your mind thinking of a past time in my life. Our minds think in pictures so when a particular song is playing our minds draws these pictures as to what is playing on the radio and can make us feel happy, or we might start to cry and make us sad.

For Example: When I am listening to a song from the 60's I remember when I was younger, being with my friends and having fun, walking at the pool in the summer sun with the music playing at the pool. That would make me happy and feel good.

Now I am listening to another song on the radio that is talking about a little girl and her father is an abusive alcoholic and her mother is on drugs and they don't have time for their daughter. They don't have time to love her or play with her. So the little girl is always hiding behind the sofa to get away from her parents. One day her father comes home kills her mother and then kills himself and the little girl sees all of this. The song goes that Jesus is holding her behind the sofa when her parents died. Now that song always makes me sad, and I start to cry.

So I think it really dosen't matter what song you are listen to your mind with your past experiences in your life will bring up negative or positive thoughts about that song. What are your thoughts about this?

Dona Dry

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:04 am

Originally posted by Dona Dry:

So I think it really dosen't matter what song you are listen to your mind with your past experiences in your life will bring up negative or positive thoughts about that song. What are your thoughts about this?

Dona Dry
Yea I can see what you're saying there. It's like you can listen to any music, even sad music, but could bring up a happy memory or whatever and be a positive good song for you.. and visa versa. Yea, that is a good point.. thanx! :) WOW there are so many good stories here. :-D Yay that makes my day.

I like what glass said. I think that maybe I should stay away from negative music for right now, but in the end I just need to learn balance.. control.. of my emotions. Thank you glass!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:13 am

Hi,

I've always confused the supporters around me with the music subject. I'm a huge fan of a lot of music that most people would find ultimately depressing and dark. However, this music actually excites and invigorates me. It's the music with soul that helps me feel I am not alone, and expresses some emotion, which is what I believe real music should do. Ironically, the more shallow and carefree the music, the more I can't stand it. My anxiety is actually triggered by loud rap or pop music, which has always made me uncomfortable in bars and clubs.

I guess to me, musical negativity comes from shallowness and lack of soul rather than subject matter

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”