can't seem to write neg. thoughts

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Tweety4_9

Post by Tweety4_9 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:23 am

I am having the hardest time with Session 3. I know that I want this program to work for me and I know that I can do it too! However, when it comes to writing my negative thoughts, it becomes a huge battle. I admit that I am a negative thinker, I have been as long as I can remember. What's hard is admitting what horrible things that I think and I don't even want to write them down (like fearing of admitting it)....

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:12 am

Have you tried writing themes? That may make it easier. I had a similar experience.

Themes can be easier, because you don't get into all the gory details. I remember thinking, "God forbid someone saw what I was writing or found this before I got a chance to destroy it". I was very ashamed by some of those negative thoughts.

It's good that your dealing with it now--because if you gloss over it now and move on--you just have to come back to it later. So try themes. Carolyn suggested it to me; and it worked.
Last edited by MC Grace on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:29 am

Hey Tweety & MC,
It's funny reading this, because just this morning I went back to review session 3 this morning. I had spent 2 weeks on this and then went on to session 4. But then I realized that I hadn't got it like I thought that I had. I'm not much for writing, I'm trying but it's hard. I felt like you, that if someone was to find what I'm thinking about, I'd be humiliated. So, I thought that I review it again this week and try it again. One idea that I had heard about as far as replacing the negative thoughts with positive thoughts is, writing down encouraging scriptures and putting them everywhere (everywhere within reason) so, that is what you see all the time. I thought it couldn't hurt. Hope this helps and hang in there.

Peace be with You,
Rocky

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:32 am

thanks for the encouragement!!! I will try the theme and putting encouraging scripture everywhere.

Thanks!

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:36 am

You are welcome, you've already encouraged me, so see, that day is getting better already. :)

Rocky

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:10 pm

Just wanted to post this>

I've been doing really good, of course I haven't really put myself outside of my comfort zone (which is basically going anywhere alone). Even tonight I didn't really go out of my comfort zone but did go shopping with my mom and had a panic attack. It's been quite awhile since I've had a full blown attack, I've had the anxiety feelings off and on but this was horrible. I HATE panic feelings, my heart just races and it scares me cause it feels as if it will never slow down. I ran, not literally but so to speak, I said I've got to get out of here. My attack didn't last more than 10 - 15 mins. but i felt aftershocks for about an hour. even now I sit and think, MAN what is wrong with my body??? Should I go to the doctor??? and even as I think this I know that there isn't anything wrong. After I got home I was trying hard to not beat myself up and kept telling myself, it's ok I've come a long way regardless.

If anybody reads this and has a comment I welcome it :)

jillzmind

Post by jillzmind » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:01 pm

Here's my tip: Write positive thoughts instead!

I wrote my negative thoughts for a week or so and had trouble replacing them with positive thoughts on paper. Instead, I only wrote down positive thoughts. Whenever I'd think something negative, I'd just stop and think, "but what can I say right now that's positive?" And I'd try to remember positive things I'd said to people all day and write them down, too. Then, I started keeping a journal of all the compliments people gave me. I realized I would focus so strongly on small criticisms and brush off all compliments. I turned it the other way around. I would go home and list every nice thing people said to me, from "you're the best teacher in the world" to "I like your necklace." And it worked! I only kept 2-3 pages of a journal before I didn't need to write it down any more. I got the point.

Try it and let me know how it goes. I think it'll help.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”