Martha Beck's 3 Rules for fighting fear...

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
CarolynEd.Dir.

Post by CarolynEd.Dir. » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:31 pm

The June issue of O magazine is a great one...it would be worth going to the library and finding it in the archives...

"Fear lives in our reptile brains. [this reference refers to the small beginning brain of our cave dweller relatives-insert by carolyn) Are you going to take advice from a lizard?

1. Make a list of the things you have to do today. Drop anything negative that you can, and sweeten what you can't. Listen for that inner voice, and go toward the good whispers.

2. For five minutes every day, go to a treasure chest of pleasing thoughts in your mind. If you have trouble filling the chest, answer these questions: I love the smell of... I love the sound of... I love the taste of... I love the sight of... I love the feel of...

3. While doing the exercise (in #2) clasp either pinky finger with your other hand; this creates a state-dependent memory and will take you back to this blissful mood whenever you hold your pinky."

Add your list of pleasing thoughts to this thread...it will help others who are too anxious or blue to find any treasures of their own.

Be a "Gem" to yourself, Carolyn

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:29 pm

What a lovely idea.

Let's see... my pleasing thoughts.

Snow falling on a Saturday morning, a cup of hot tea, curled up in bed watching a romance movie like Sleepless in Seattle.

A summer day, the sky blue with white clouds, a cool breeze, driving down the freeway with the windows and sunroof open and a great song playing.

The smell of fresh, clean sheets. The sound of a new album playing that I love. The taste of a delicious home cooked meal. Baking homemade chocolate cookies, having a great laugh with a friend.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Great idea!

I love a summer night with a moon lit backdrop and the sweet smell of pollinating grass passing through a gentle breeze.

Thoughts, only thoughts! Thoughts, only thoughts!

F

LynnG

Post by LynnG » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:32 pm

i love Martha Beck. there's always a tip in her writing that makes my life better--if just for that day.

i love the suggestion about sweetening the difficult/negative things we have to do. i have to go to court this week, i have two interviews lined up, and lots of paperwork to tend to. . . so this is just the encouragement i need.

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:43 pm

Caroln!!!! Welcome back. We missed you SO much. You just have a way of saying the most kindest and gentlest of things. I always look forward to your great posts. Thanks for this.

Soft hugs,
Danielle
:-)

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:44 am

Carolyn my pleasant thoughts.

I love a nice cup of tea on a afternoon when all is quiet and calm.

I love when I go in to check my sleeping children and they look so happy and peacefull sleeping makes me feel so good and warm inside.

I love when my family is all together and just being.

I love the sound of lawn mowers and kids playing in the outside on a warm summer day.

I love this chat and forum when I can come and find threads like this where I can feel the good and the positive just oozing from the words.

Good day to everyone!
Dodger

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 am

This is great! I logged on this morning because I am having a pretty serious growth spurt after a prolonged absence where I was managing a lot of craziness pretty well. This was the first thing I stumbled upon, and it is helping me work on those positive daytime thoughts (the negative ones hit me pretty hard during insomnia last night). Here is my list:
A hot shower
Kids and kittens making me laugh
A small piece of dark chocolate melting in my mouth

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 am

Hi Carolyn.

These are my pleasing thoughts.

I love the sound of little children giggling.

I love the sky when the clouds look like stretched cotton puffs against a blue sky.

I love hugs.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:30 am

The cusp of winter into spring, sitting by the merced river, listening to the water,fresh breeze,......the smell of fresh dirt and pennyroyal,....

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:48 am

What a great post, as always!

Like Sierra, I love the cusp of winter into spring. The smells of that time of year are amazing! I also love the change from summer into fall, where the nights are cool but not too cold, yet.

I love Christmastime!

The way my fiance looks at me & smiles when I'm doing little things like reading or talking and then kisses me.

My kitties!

The smell of the beach in the summer!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”