Empowering Group Program Run-through part3

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
THH

Re: Empowering Group Program Run-through part3

Post by THH » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:09 pm

I too have been having some trouble with how my stress is just not going away. I made a doctors appointment for Monday just to check in and make sure I'm good. I've been working hard on keeping my thoughts positive, and relaxing but I still don't feel free or secure. It has been a year since I had a check up so I would feel better with the check up.
It seams there are so many stressors out there. I get it Forever with this stupid health care crap. If you do not have any insurance now then check it out. I'm good till Nov. 2014 then I will be forced onto what ever it is by then. It is stressful. I just dealt with it too. My insurance went up 80.00 and I just decided to keep it. 2014 it will not be available - we will be forced to use it. It is several hundred more then!

Mike, thanks, that is good. The dentist office probably gets half their work by doing that exact thing knowing us anxiety people will go that way! That maybe helpful for the future to think about it in those terms, I'm going to use it. KEEPER

I think for me & HA is to know when I get body symptoms instead of magnifying them, and putting them under micro management, check to see if it is there, or getting worse, getting better, moved, what ever the case maybe. Minimize them. Oh my heart is beating fast, don't mean I'm have heart issues. Use the 6 steps, & Maybe I need to go on with my day and check it again before bed. Or maybe it will be gone by then. I think this constant feeling for stuff gets in the obsessive category.
I also know my triggers, or some of them. When I know I am going to have to face them, if necessary take a little Xanax to help me.
I do feel like a failure when I take it because I think I should be able to change everything and not need it any more. When really it is smart management and helps me to roll that way. I toughed it out going to the dentist and all the other big things I faced this past week but I am suffering from not taking it. There is a place for medicine.

Just because we are working the program, and getting stronger practice skills does not mean to take it to the extreme and just jump out of an air plane when we are afraid to fly!

Mike I do have some soothing things I like too and I am going to do them soon as I am done here. I totally agree that looking at ones self is hard. Looking at correcting things that you have done for years is hard. We are not looking at a miracle we are trying to understand and identify things we do and can change to make our lives better.
That is great that you got that bit of insight too !
I liked #1 answer. ( That is my answer too )
#2. I'm not a horrible person, I need to realize my value. Not everyone is going to like me, but I will find people who do. ( That is my positive for that negative. )

Have a good night everyone!

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Alright so I decided to do the tick mark action assignment for this week and man was it hard! Like everybody else, I've noticed it to be hard to catch them, I think I missed many but I ended up putting 155 ticks in today!!!! I didn't realize that I was that negative!Many times I'd first notice that I felt bad and then seeing that I would figure out why. I had negative thoughts about money, about people not liking me, about not being good enough, judgemental thoughts about things I'd say and do, not doing things good enough, not doing things enough....so much negativity!!!! Wow!

I also did the part of the workbook where it asks about failures and accomplishments and I'm actually not going to post that but I do have say that it was hard to figure out both my failures and my accomplishments. One thing that really struck me was what came out when I answered about what could I have done differently....I wrote about how I could have been more encouraging to myself, give myself more room for mistakes, be more nurturing, forgiving to myself, not base my worth on whatever I was doing, give myself constant love, focus on my strengths, give constant reminders to my goodness and to build myself up as well as my ability to calm myself down and replace thoughts so I could give more and do better.
->The interesting thing that I realized is i've been actually doing the opposite to that and it has just made things alot harder for me to do well and feel good about myself.

And I didn't bother writing out thoughts to replace today since I did the tick mark thing!

Mike

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 pm

ForeverYoung;
I know how discouraging it can be to catch these negative thoughts (I am feeling that way myself), however its really likely going to be a challenge because we've spent so much time trying to do the opposite for such a long time. It'll take some time. I will continue to post my thoughts and replacements up and perhaps you may find that you feel the same way as I do in some of them and maybe that'll help you to indentify them. I can tell you that if you practice using the relaxation cd, you may find that you can think a bit clearer and that may make it easier to identify them.

As for the swimming no I actually live in Toronto, Ontario and I do indoor swimming but its kind of cold right now.

There have been many people who came and left and I do miss them too...you just start to create a bond and then you want to see and talk to these people...you said when you have a setback you want to call people and talk to them and to get to know them...getting to know people sounds like its a soothing thing for you, that connection makes you feel better right? It sounds like the connection helps you to release some of that stress.

THH;
Your welcome about my idea of the doctor thing!

3 things came to me while reading your post.

#1 I definately understand why next weeks topic is on Expectations.
I actually chuckled a bit when I realized it but if you think about many of our posts on here in this last week you'll find that we've been stressing ourselves out with an expectation that we should be doing better than we are doing right now!!!! Do you agree?
->The program didn't say we have to catch every single thought, it also didn't say we have to be really good, or even say that we have to have any level of skill with catching thoughts by the end of this lesson...It just said to start and in reality when we start something usually we are pretty crappy at it :P so I guess we should just accept being crappy at it for now!

#2 I think you're better at posting replacement thoughts within your forum posts rather then when you are actually focusing and trying to come up with one to a specific thought
Just because we are working the program, and getting stronger practice skills does not mean to take it to the extreme and just jump out of an air plane when we are afraid to fly!
That one was brilliant and it actually helped me realize about the expectations aspect.

#3 It really is true that life is 10% of what happens and 90% of how you react
Both of us are looking for stuff, we are seeing the body symptoms, you say it is making you obsessive...I have some of that too but then with other times I'm trying to live more in the present moment and feel any sensation in my body and the wind on my face and my body temperature when i'm walking and many other things and it actually feels really nice and sometimes when the anxiety comes up, I'm like ok anxiety and then I continue to try spreading my awareness to those things I just mentioned and I try to include awareness of sounds as well.

All;
While reading THH's response I had realized about expectations and I think for everybody it's definately worth reading that part....its the #1 part.

Mike

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:39 pm

THH I feel just like you I am back on my HA trick. yesterday I was not feeling good and then I started feeling more anxious then I thought okay what are you thinking and I remembered to feel the way I was feeling I was having some negative thoughts that were creating this. So this might work better for me because like they said when you start to feel anxious we having to have had a thought or worry that created it .

Good deal THH to go to the Dr. It just might put your mind at ease. I have been going a lot all summer and fall. I was going to have a pap smear as I have a cancer policy that will pay me a hundred dollars to have preventive test done and now it isn't suppose to cost any thing thru your insurance too. I know to help me I would have to have some expensive test and If I do I want to wait till Jan so it could go toward the deductible for the year.

Mike I had forgotten you were in Canada. You live in town too. I wish I lived in town I have always lived in the country all my life. The town I live close to is so small. I am behind today I have not listened to the relaxtion tape yet. I did listen to the cd again yesterday. they are so long and we are suppose to listen to cd 2 also I think. I too am trying to be mindful of my surroundings. when I take the dog out I see the squirrels and feel the breeze on my face. we tend to get caught up in our feelings until we don't notice nothing else. we all are trying and we need not feel like we have to do it perfectly just keep trying I have a lot to over come and it will take time.

where is mable? I guess we are the only ones that are going thru but at least we have each other.

THH

Post by THH » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:06 pm

I started to feel better today. Seamed like I was on edge for awhile. I probably don't need to go in to see the doctor but I think I do need that extra insurance that I am basically healthy. I don't mind seeing the doctor, I do much better than going to the dentist.
I was talking to my neighbor lady, she knows I have anxiety and actually has been a good support for me. She reminded me that everyone one has something they deal with and people have different lines in the sand. She is polar opposite of me, if she gets sick she lays back and don't think about it. She is a book person who reads like a librarian. She is not a "feelie" person. She is a fact person. I have helped her in some ways to with the feelie stuff. If her arm hurts she say oh in about 6 months it will be better. She hardly ever goes to the doctor. Her husband is more like me. He worries that she has a fever for 3 days and wants to take her to the er.
The reason I bring this up is, it is hard to related with people about our feelings. People who have anxiety don't judge each other, or how crazy things may sound we can all relate on some level. Some things are different but we all over react to some degree. We know basically what not to say when we are feeling on edge. Some people you may talk to may say the wrong things that make us question things more! This is the beauty of this site to me. We can openly say what we feel and sometimes answer our own questions.

Forever Young,
I get so tired of my health anxiety. It seams llike I get stuck for awhile and then I get free. But now that I am getting older so many new things. Before, you could say, oh I know this symptom and not worry because you had it so many times before. But over 50 things are new, and I question so much of it. I do need to go it will give me more confidence . Don't like I had to wait almost a week to get in, but it is not a big deal I can wait. No emergency.
Yea all this "routine" stuff is free, unless they "find" something.
Is there a special thing with your health that you worry or is it all general stuff? I think mine is all general stuff, always wondering about heart or cancer.
We are healthy and worry really don't change anything!

THH

Post by THH » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Mike,
I totally agree! Expectations... I did this program and I should be free of anxiety! Good catch! I guess that was how I was feeling. Like something was wrong with me for still having anxiety. I wish they had Ken on there longer. I want to know more about him. He mentions how "once" he caught on to this he really got it. How long did it take him to get caught on to it? LOL...:)
Yea we are infants at this point. LOL...
I too have found that keeping my mind in the present moment is so far the best tool. Like you said taking in the surroundings breaks up the obsessive part. Feeling for that breeze, looking at a pretty tree. It all helps.
I am also seeing how negative I am. It is easier to write the positive down, less ink.

I'm going to do my homework tonight and post Sat.

Have a good night & a healthy happy weekend!

Ninjafrodo2

Post by Ninjafrodo2 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:24 am

It wasn't too bad today, I find that I've been negatively anticipating activities today. Cleaning my room for instance, I keep being afraid of doing it because of how overwhelming it can get and how it'll give me anxious thoughts and feelings....or when I talk to people, I'm already seeing how some of those people are going to be boring or overwhelming and how I'll just have to endure the anxiety feelings.....So much of my thinking is anxiety focused! Its either on how i'm feeling anxious or how something IS going to make me anxious and the truth is...cleaning my room doesn't make me anxious, its the thoughts that I have and the feelings that those thoughts create that make me anxious....I think I must have had alot of anxiety when it came to tidying up.

I'm still pushing forward, I'm still doing what I need to do, I've finally started to up the relaxation cd usage to 3X a day...once in the morning, once when i'm walking around and once before sleep and I feel good about that. I'm still struggling with catching negative thoughts before I get carried away with them but I'm getting some of them...this week it seems that I have to notice the negative ways I feel first and then question it to figure out what I was thinking.

ForeverYoung;
Even though you have been having trouble with catching thoughts it sounds like you're starting to get somewhere. I got a really good feeling when I read the part where you said that you started to feel anxious and it might work better for you because when you start to feel anxious there had to have been a thought or worry that created it. You are starting to see the opportunity within the anxiety and that's really great and I'm proud of you!

Thats great that you're continuing to be mindful of your surroundings and you are so right when it comes to getting caught in our feelings and not noticing anything else....it's challenging to switch to being more aware but it is so worth it. Squirrels are so cute and just feeling the sensations within our bodies and seeing the details in our present moment are just so precious, it really is amazing how satisfying we can get at even the smallest things...for me that seems to be water and bubbles lately :P

By the way you sound like you might be feeling overwhelmed with the things that they suggest to do for lesson 3...am I right in my assumption?

I'm sure MapleLane is still with us, she gets busy sometimes and has her son to take care of.

THH;
Thats really fortunate that you have a neighbour like that....I really believe that people come into our lives for a reason and it seems like you are both in each other's lives in order to help each other grow...she has some characteristics or perceptions that you could benefit from and you have some that she can benefit from, its great! I'm also one of those lay back and let it heal type of people too!

And yeah it really is hard to relate to people with our feelings, even if they have anxiety actually (or at least the ones who have it and are in denial or try to run away from even thinking about it). I think its really hard to relate to people with our feelings who haven't done this program and have the knowledge that we have. I have several psychiatrist type friends who still don't even understand. Oh and I think lesson 2 mentioned about us being suggestible or maybe that was ken in lesson 2 tape. I have fallen for that too, I think in our state of confusion and bewilderment we aren't completely clear on what is right and wrong in certain ways of thinking.

Yeah i'm still getting caught up in "there's something wrong with me because I still have anxiety" type of thinking myself. Its such a trap! But yeah I guess we are still infants...I'm kind of feel like an overgrown infant though :P I've been working with the program for 9 years and I'm still in diapers! (there might be a should hidden in there....by the way I love how you put a should in a previous message and then lol in brackets after it!).

Yeah I liked Ken too....he did mention that after 2 months into the program he never had another panic attack for the rest of his life...so i'm guessing it took him 8 weeks, but that might not be how long it takes us as we are all different people with different situations, different strengths, different path's in life. It might take 5 weeks or 15 weeks, who knows!

Mike

forever young 06

Post by forever young 06 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:14 am

THH sounds like you don't have anything too serious going on. I too don't have any problem going to the Dr unless I really am afraid it is something bad. I am usually looking for reassurance that I am okay. I too know that as you get older you can have more health problems. I would hope to be one of the ones to live a long healthy life. I am trying to eat healthy and exercise but I find I am struggling with the exercise. you are so lucky to have a neighbor you can talk to. I have one I can talk to too. I am looking for someone to tell me I am okay. If I tell someone a symptom and they say you better go to the dr it scares me. The only thing would cause me anxiety would be to be told I need extra testing like for cancer or heart disease. My health anxiety is related to my heart. This is how my anxiety came back. I started having weird spells, weak and would feel funny in my chest after I stopped taking Prozac. I was doing and feeling really good. I am still trying to get back on meds and I have felt good some days. I have some symptoms that are not as severe but still scare me. I am trying to float thru and see if they go away. I have had all kinds of blood work done and I went to the er back in may when this all started and I thought I was dying. they did a ekg and blood work and I told the dr I had just came off meds and she said I should try to get back on them. I am trying to believe it is anxiety but what bothered me was these feelings started without the feeling of anxiety first. In the past I felt the anxiety first but you know what the meds kept my fears at bay till I can't remember exacty how I was. I mean this has been like 25 yrs I was on meds. I also wonder that my body has changed I am older the meds have changed my chemistry. I wish I could have the test like stress test and know I am okay but I am afraid they will find something then I would have to worry about that. what is your health anxiety worry?

mike we are learning a lot about ourselves which is good. I am bad for putting things off I don't like to clean. I spend too much time on the computer. I also have some shows I watch on tv that keeps me from even doing the program like I should. I am reading a book that someone on one of the anxiety websites told me to get and I only read it a little and put it away yes this is the story of my life. it is the 10 best anxiety management techniques it says understanding how your brain makes you anxious and what you can do to change it. I think I want to get well but I don't want to do the work I want a magic cure just say a few words and bam your well. I went the meds route but you have to always take them or do something like this program to stay well also meds don't take away the phobias they have to be unlearned and that is where the facing comes in they will not go away until you learn to not fear what you are afraid of. I need to get off hear and do my relaxtion cd. what do you do when your cd skips? I also have the tapes and I have three tape players and can't get them to work one ate one of my tapes.

MapleLane

Post by MapleLane » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Hey guys!

Sorry I've been away from the board since my first post. I mostly work through this program after my son goes to bed so I can concentrate on it.
This week, between him being sick and me sometimes just deciding at the end of the day that my day is done and I'm going bed, I haven't been on the forums and just got to the lesson today.

I've now read through all the posts you guys have written for lesson 3 stuff and I'll comment/respond shortly :)

THH

Post by THH » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

In reading my book today I noticed a couple things. Insisting something "should" or "shouldn't' BE A CERTIAN WAY, FEEL A CERTIAN WAY, will intensify anxiety & depression.
Good food for thought.
Only 3 positive statements really feel good to me or make me feel better: ( out of the list they gave)
I'm taking this too seriously
Its not worth getting anxious about
I'll feel better tomorrow.

What if we discover optimism?

Did everyone journal 10 positive things about their life? I had some trouble but got going and it became easier.

Forever young:
Oh me too, I need that reassurance. I at times have heart palpitations and I strongly think it is anxiety but I need to check in with the doctor to be sure. It will skip a beat from time to time too. I have had ekg's last year and everything was great. During my last couple weeks of stress I did not take any Xanax thinking that I can think my way around this and I did, but it left me in a constant state of anxiety. I can easily get obsessed with what & why but I do best with going forward and forgetting about it. If I have been anxious or am anxious I want it checked out. I am very much like you with Ha. I also want to talk to the doctor about my anxiety - when to deal and when to medicate. I respect his opinion and not that I will do everything he says, it gives me some things to think about.
I too have trouble taking pills. I am afraid of side effects or feeling worse than before I took them.
I generally gut it out, but I do have a hand full of things I am comfortable taking.

Keep in mind that any medicine you take does change things and when you get off something's it can have a rebound effect. It usually goes away in a few weeks or months but nobody tells you what to expect and I never know what questions to ask until I feel something. If they would tell you, you could be expect to feel this way or that.
I know our chemistry changes after menopause. I have never had hormone replacement therapy and often wondered if I would benefit. No doctor has told to I should. Maybe you could discuss that with your doctor and see, maybe there is a different drug that you may like better. Or maybe a drug you could just take as needed? Sometimes I feel I have to be my own doctor and try in the best of my words to ask for my options. It seams that today doctors want to just give you pills, and sometimes we need them, but if it won't hurt me not to, what are my other options?
I had high numbers for several tests, and in 6 weeks lowered my no.'s by diet and exercise. I personally would much rather go that route, due to my fear of swallowing that pill to do it for me. It is hard being a health anxiety person! LOL...
My husband had the stress test, walking one. It kind of is a joke. He is very healthy, no HA and has heart problems in the family. So he went and did it, they basically said he is good, repeat the test in another year. It was like 1500. He said I'll come back when I feel I have some issues. So who knows???

I guess for me I just want to have faith in my body, the way creator made it. Aging is scary and maybe that is my fight? Maybe I have to trust that I am alright. Like you, if someone says that is weird, or I never had that, or you should see a doctor. WooooHooo off I go.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”