New to forum and working on beating anxiety

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
findpeace

New to forum and working on beating anxiety

Post by findpeace » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi, I'm new and on Lesson 3. I have been battling anxiety, resulting from hitting a parked car while driving when I became dizzy. I have had anxiety when driving - in heavy traffic, stopped at many traffic lights, and driving on bridges (large ones). I have been afraid of being afraid - my biggest obstacle.

I also purchased a couple of books that were recommended in the program and have been reading one of them: What To Say When You Talk To Yourself by Shad Helmstetter. It's about self-talk and ties right in with Lesson 3.

I have been working very hard at being positive to myself and there are little positive signs, but I know I'm at the beginning of a marathon that I'm willing to commit to.

coachchris

Re: New to forum and working on beating anxiety

Post by coachchris » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Welcome findpeace,

This is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at Stress. It's great to have your here in the forums. Thank you for your post and reaching out.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on lesson 2? I too had the dizziness. It can be very frustrating if we don't understand it and get our power back from it. How did lesson 2 help you get more of your power back?

We look forward to your reply.
Coach Chris StressCenter.com

findpeace

Post by findpeace » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:58 pm

First, I used this ten years ago and it worked well for me. I tried it last year, but my state of mind was not good. Got through part of it and stopped towards the end. I decided to re-order everything because it had the CD's - I had the tapes. Therefore, I can bring the CD's with me when I drive. This is the first time I am aware of the forum, too.

Lesson 2 has helped - it helped last year. I haven't had a major panic attack since last May (had several in approximately six week period). I do have the enxiety and that's what I want to get rid of. I am seeing a cognitive therapist and it has been good. He says I have been managing the anxiety very well. I don't want to spend my life managing it, I want it get rid of it and find inner peace.

A year ago, Chapter 2 was more beneficial, but I realize I have to change the way I think. The positive self-talk, is good, but the negative is putting up a good fight. The thing I have to do in regards to Chapter 2 is accept the feelings more. I am afraid of being afraid. I have improved with heavy traffic - it's the bridges I need work on. Anticipatory anxiety and obsessive scary thoughts are a big part of my problem. Something about bridges always made me a little uneasy, with some of it having to do with a fear of heights.

I originally saw a doctor who prescribed Xanax. It helps, but I don't want to be too dependent on it. I use it when I need it, that's all. He's the one who recommended the therapist I am seeing now.

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:48 am

Hi findpeace,

Thank you for your post.

I like how you said you don't want to just manage it or survive it, we want to understand it and not give away our peace to it.

It's a lot about our relationship with the adrenalin and what meaning we have attached to it....like fear.

You're doing great. I would be happy to have a free coaching call with you if you would like to talk. I will private message you and we can go from there.

It's time for permanent peace :)
Coach Chris

findpeace

Post by findpeace » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:16 am

Coach Chris, you can private mail me at your convenience. I am seeing a cognitive therapist.

Grandmaof3

Post by Grandmaof3 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:42 pm

Well, I'm glad that I am not the only one who has started this program and after a few years has to go through it again. :D

This week I have been fighting with anxiety. I haven't had any for a couple of months now.

One trigger for anxiety I have is my stomach. I get an acidic stomach and then it's really hard to not obsess about how I feel. These feelings are EXACTLY what I was feeling when I first went back on the program last August. For some reason I cannot get over the fear of having an acidic stomach even though I know that it's part of life. I know that I am healthy; I eat right, exercise, all of that. Health wise I am GREAT!

Another trigger I have for anxiety is having time off. This is where people will NOT have much sympathy for me and I don't blame them. I work at a school so I have the summers off. I know that I NEED the time off for my mental well-being. I LOVE what I do, but I also give a lot of myself in my job. But I freakout thinking of having time off for a while. Also, deep down I'm afraid that I will not watch what I eat so well and gain weight.

It's hard for me to not obsess about how I feel right now. I have been trying to put into practice positive thinking, not giving myself a guilt trip and trying to distract myself. I was off of my anti anxiety medicine for months (it's an antihistamine too), but I started taking it once a day and it is helping. I know it's best to only use it when needed. I need it now. I am in this for the long haul, so I know it will take a while to change my habits.

Anyway, I was wondering if others struggle like this and what do you do to get over a rough spot like this. :D

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Hello Grandma,

Thank you for sharing!

It sounds like you may be use staying busy as a distraction or a way to stay ahead of the 'feelings'?

I would review lesson two. I love your truths about your health!!! Truths are key! We have attached lies to body symptoms.
Try to relabel the body symptoms as neutral sensations and I would also try to not use the word 'anxiety'. I would replace it with 'adrenaline'.

Keep up the great work.
Keep us posted. We learn a lot from each other!
Coach Chris

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”