how do you deal with thoughts/feelings that won't subside?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
lph24

how do you deal with thoughts/feelings that won't subside?

Post by lph24 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Hello

I'd love some advise on how to deal with thoughts and fear of feelings that don't subside. I have been using the self talk the way that is suggested in the program. however, in the CD -- unless i'm misunderstanding -- it seems like it's suggested that you catch the bad thoughts and change them to positive dialogue and that will make the negative thoughts and feelings subside.

it is not that easy for me. if i'm having a panic attack, it can go on for 20 minutes and i am not sure what to do. do i keep repeating the same positive dialogue? it's hard because it feels so scary and like it will never end. And then i feel depressed when it's over and combating that feeling with talk is challenging as well.

Thanks for any advise!

perspectivegirl

Re: how do you deal with thoughts/feelings that won't subsid

Post by perspectivegirl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 am

Hi lph24! :)

Sometimes you can't "catch" the bad thoughts, but that does come in time! Something that I used to do during panic attacks (and still do when I get anxious at all) is think to myself, "What am I feeling?" Usually scared, nervous, hot, shaky. Then I think "Why?" Sometimes I come up with reasons and they usually don't make any sense. That's what I would consider a way of "catching" the bad thoughts. And even then, they don't simply disappear and go away. :P but you do do validate yourself and know that they're silly. Breathe through it, you'll be okay. :)

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”