Stop Sign

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
1grits

Stop Sign

Post by 1grits » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:44 am

I like Lucinda's suggestion to visualize a stop sign as soon as a negative thought comes to mind. I'm going to use that. I'm going to journal about blessings I receive each day instead of journaling about negative thoughts. I am surrounded by negativity every day. I have bad days when I'm down but I find something to get my mind off of it - humor, reading, go for a walk, etc.

NeverQuit

Re: Stop Sign

Post by NeverQuit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:03 pm

That's awesome! I need to practice the STOP sign more. It's really hard. I have the bad habit of giving up too easily when it gets tough. I know what I need to do, but I have a really hard time making myself do it. The key is to answer the thought with something positive and soothing, then move onto something else. Or else I will continue going over and over it until it feels "right," which for me ties into my OCD.

I find that I feel much better when I count my blessings too, in the morning I like to thank God for all my blessings, it helps to get my mind on the right track. :)

Blessings to you! :D

debra1952

Re: Stop Sign

Post by debra1952 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I just wish I could always come up with a calm and soothing positive thought - I'm having trouble with that. I do think I'll take your advice and try listing blessings in my journalling. Thanks for the idea.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”