compliments and confidence

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
LyndaLu

compliments and confidence

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Ok, so I cannot take a compliment, no matter how small. I guess I don't feel like I deserve it :?:

My Aunt was visiting from out of town recently and I saw her a few times during her visit.
Each time I saw her she made a compliment to me about one thing or another; like saying something nice
about a shirt I was wearing. Of course I don't know how to take a compliment because I
rarely get any, so I did not say "Thank You" or anything like that :o .I just let the compliment fly right over
my head. My niece also made a nice comment to me about something while she was visiting recently
and I did not acknowlege that nice comment either :? .

Does anyone else have a problem accepting compliments due to low self-esteem ?

Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Re: compliments and confidence

Post by Iwillbebetter » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:11 am

I am one that give it back when given to me. If you say something nice to me, I will shrug it off and find something nice to say back. I may say thank you but your.... Or I would tell them why they are wrong. This isn't a nice shirt, I've had it for years...
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

missobsessive

Post by missobsessive » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm

I will say that I think this is one area where I think I'm ok. If someone compliments me on a shirt or something I just say "oh thanks, I got it at ....". Then I'll usually say something about them that I like, like a bracelet they're wearing or something. You could try doing that!! You deserve the complimentsyou get :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for your advice and reponses :!:
I will try to start accepting compliments more willingly in the future.
Sadly, my world is so small and there are so few people in it......so, if someone compliments me
on something I should accept the compliment because another compliment or nice
comment may not come along for a long time.
Side note: Three years ago today I got layed off from my
job due to the poor economy and it has been a "thorn in my side" this entire time. My co-worker
friends are gone and they are all that I had. Anyhow, I still have my family, but they live out-of state,
except for my elderly mother. I am wanting to regain some of my confidence that I used to have,
personally and professionally, but I have not been able to make any major changes in that area so far.
I will talk more later,
Lynda Lu :)

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”