Do I really have to keep a journal?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Smiling Sunflower

Do I really have to keep a journal?

Post by Smiling Sunflower » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am

I feel like it would make the scary thoughts worse to write them down and bring them more to the front of my mind. I understand the concept, but taking the time to stop and write them down verses just trying to replace the thought and move along seems counterproductive.

Dixiesmom

Re: Do I really have to keep a journal?

Post by Dixiesmom » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:59 pm

On session 3 I don't really think you have to write down scary thoughts, you are supposed to write down negative thoughts and then try to replace it with a positive, comforting thought. By writing something down, you see it for what it is - it's there for you to look at clearly. If you leave it in your mind, it's not concrete and harder to counter.

NeverQuit

Post by NeverQuit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:56 pm

This is really hard for me too. I think the key is to answer them quickly, and to keep doing it - eventually, it will pay off, as your brain starts to believe the positive replacements rather than the negative thoughts.

What might help you too is to get underneath the scary "What if?" thought to the negative thought/belief underlying the "what if." For example: "What if I start to drive again and I get into a bad accident?" Underlying negative thought could be, "I don't trust my driving ability, I am a bad driver." Replace THAT with something positive!

I know it's hard to believe at first, but Lucinda and other people who have recovered say that this is one of the most important aspects of the program. We can trust them! Keep doing it!

ELENAGLEE

Post by ELENAGLEE » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:28 pm

Smiling Sunflower wrote:I feel like it would make the scary thoughts worse to write them down and bring them more to the front of my mind. I understand the concept, but taking the time to stop and write them down verses just trying to replace the thought and move along seems counterproductive.
Same thing here, I feel like if I write them down I will be thinking in those scary thoughs more. Most of my anxiety comes from those scary thoughs, I can be laying down all relax then sudenly have a scary though and get really anxious. I have more scary thoughs than negative thoughs. I need to end this bad habit.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”