exercise

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
LyndaLu

exercise

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:02 pm

I dont' excercise, but the program says we should. Every doctor television show says we should

exercise. What kinds of exercise does everyone do out there ? What is the best exercise to do ?

I heard that walking is the way to go. I have access to a treadmill. Just needing some advice on

this subject. I have already given up coffee and candy. I am going to work on giving up chocolate

and sugar next. Sugar is the hardest. Sugar is my favorite food group, ha ha. Thanks for any

exercise pointers you can give me, I know it is such an important part of the program and would

really improve my life. Lynda :shock:

Iwillbebetter

Re: exercise

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:10 pm

Lynda - exercise can be a number of things. Somethings I do...
Walking is good... I really enjoy that - when weather is permitting. I have 2 little ones so sometimes have to be creative. We have a Wii which has many games that are actually a great way of exercise. Our favorites are the just dance, but there are lots. I also have a personal trainer thing for the Wii that has a heart rate monitor and everything it's pretty neat, but I don't get to do as often, as I have to do without the kids.

I am also working on learning Yoga, that doesn't get you going as much, but is more of a workout than you would think. I started that thinking it would be good for exercise and relaxation which is a hard one for me.

If you are into them, there are many different videos you could follow along with, at the stores or I'm sure you could even find something on-line.

Some days I just do my own thing, I'll do some jumping jacks - do steps at the bottom of my stairs - a couple sit-ups and push ups.

Remeber especially if you don't normally exercise much yet, don't do to much at first. Start out slow don't push yourself to hard. I started with only like 10-15 minutes at a time. I would try for 1-3 times a day.
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

mmwillie928

Post by mmwillie928 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Lynda,
good for you on how you are giving up on the bad things in your diet. i just wanted to send some words of encouragement. you are on the right path.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:40 pm

iwillbebetter: Thanks for the advice.
I was just thinking back to when I was a child and how much I exercised back then.
I rode my bike, I walked, I ran, I played kick-ball, I played soft-ball and soccer, I played
tennis, I rode a skateboard, went sledding in the wintertime, I ice-skated, I roller-
skated, I did those jumping jacks, I jumped rope, wow !

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:52 pm

PS: Twenty years ago I used to wake up at 5am each morning and put on my walking clothes.
I walked twenty minutes each morning around a nearby park.
Then I got ready for work and I went on to work. I did this every morning.
I lost 30 pounds in three months. I was a vegetarian too. I made all of my food from scratch

I bought a bicycle. I lived on the third floor of an apartment complex. I carried that bike up and down
those stairs.I stored that bicycle in my little kitchen.
I would ride that bike every Saturday and Sunday about 14 miles each day. I had a bike
rack for my car so that I could take my bike to different areas. I once rode that bike twenty miles
round-trip. I knew every bike path in town.

Now I am old and overweight and I eat meat and processed foods. Ugh.

Maybe I WILL get on that treadmill tomorrow, even if it IS just for 15 minutes ! :shock:

Lynda

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:28 am

Lynda good for you. I think that's great!! And yes if it's only 15 minutes - that's fine!! It's doing it that counts (especially I think when starting) not how long you can go for!!

I know what you mean, I use to be a lot more active than I am now. No reason I can't get back to doing some of those things I enjoyed. Just as everything else, it's been so long, gotta start slow, baby steps. No need to set myself up for failure!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

allenae9

Post by allenae9 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:50 pm

i'm glad I stopped to read the posts. I've been meaning to do my yoga exercise video since last night. I came up with plenty of excuses not to. One of them being "the weather is too nice out to work out inside" REALLY? how silly of me. If I don't want to get up and go outside you bet your booty i'm gonna do something right here and now. good luck on getting up and moving.

thanks
Abbie
As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to love it more and more. ~Jules Renard

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Abbie:

It sounds like you are on the right track !
The weather here is NOT nice in Arizona,
it is very, very HOT outside. I sometimes feel
that I get a "work-out" just running my errands :lol: .
I swear that I can break out in a sweat before
I even start the engine in my vehicle because
of the intense heat outside ( always over 100
degrees every day now ). So, for us folks in
Arizona, exercising INDOORS is really the smart
way to go during the summer months, although
walking outside or biking outside would
be so much more relaxing and interesting.
Keep up the good work. Welcome to the site :D .

Lynda

allenae9

Post by allenae9 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Lynda,
I have a great uncle in Arizona, and family friends. I personally haven't been but I have heard the complaints about the intensity of the weather. It is so easy to forget how lucky we are even when it comes to small things like weather. I love Maine, i'm not sure if I will ever leave. Sometimes it takes another perspective to realize all the opportunities that are only a step outside our doors. And I am certainly an outdoors person, but as we all know the depression keeps us stuck in the house sometimes. Thank you for the warm welcome, it certainly feels good to talk to people who not only understand but have insight.
-Abbie
As I grow to understand life less and less, I learn to love it more and more. ~Jules Renard

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm

allenae9 wrote:Lynda,
I have a great uncle in Arizona, and family friends. I personally haven't been but I have heard the complaints about the intensity of the weather. It is so easy to forget how lucky we are even when it comes to small things like weather. I love Maine, i'm not sure if I will ever leave. Sometimes it takes another perspective to realize all the opportunities that are only a step outside our doors. And I am certainly an outdoors person, but as we all know the depression keeps us stuck in the house sometimes. Thank you for the warm welcome, it certainly feels good to talk to people who not only understand but have insight.
-Abbie

Hi ! Yes, we are in an official heat wave here in Arizona !
I stay home in my apartment too much and I use the weather as an excuse, which is totaly ridiculous
because I was born and raised in the icy cold of Minnesota and in Minnesota you MUST go outside every
day whether you like it or not because you HAVE to go to work and you HAVE to get your errands
done ( whether there is a blizzard or a hail-storm, you are out there ) !
Those Minnesota people are a hearty breed and they sure know how to succeed in all kinds of weather :o .
As I age, the weather has become an obstacle as far as my health is concerned.
I am hoping that this heat wave doesn't last too much longer, but I have to be realistic about it ?
I have lived in Arizona for 40 years and I know what the weather can bring.
I hope everyone out there is having a great summer and is enjoying their weather, wherever they may live.
Lynda Lu :D

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”