Negative Thoughts During Panic

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
patrromig

Negative Thoughts During Panic

Post by patrromig » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 am

My negative thoughts normally focus mainly on why I'm in a panic. Like when I'm at the store (which is getting easier for me to go to.) and I begin to have a panic attack I start thinking:
Is it over yet?,
This sucks.,
This is taking forever!,
or better which throws me into the attack in the first place because of my fear of being judged,

What is everyone looking at? OR What is everyone thinking of me?

I know that no one is really focused one me unless it's someone I know. But how do you replace these negative thoughts without making it just as negative or to general? Like No one is looking at you. Or maybe they ain't looking at you but by you. No one cares what or who you are.

Please help...

waruk

Re: Negative Thoughts During Panic

Post by waruk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:03 pm

When feeling "normal", when my self-esteem is strong, it is easy to KNOW that I have the freedom to do anything. That I can mess things up and make a fool of myself and I don't really care. When I get anxious I still know this on an intellectual level buy I don't "KNOW" it anymore. I suppose continuing to work at it and feeling anxious and doing things anyway, working on the postive self-talk will pay off. I say things such as "it wouldn't matter if I fall over and start spasming on the floor, I have the freedom and right to my anxiety".

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:05 pm

Dear Patrromig: I know what you are talking about. It is just SO hard to live in the precious present moment !
When I am out doing things I just cannot wait until it is over with. I really just want to go home. The agoraphobia
can really take over. I wish I had some great advice for you, but I am battling this myself and trying to overcome it.
I just wanted you to know that someone else is out there that feels like you do. Hope to hear from you again. Lynda :)

luvbarbie7

Post by luvbarbie7 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:08 am

I am feeling very much like you too. I've battled with anxiety :) since the August of 2007. I started the program a cpople months ago. I'm going through it at a slower pace. I still feel really anxioous sometimes. I had a panic attack a couple nights ago and I listened to my relaxation audio which helped. I started feeling a little short of breath and then the negative thoughts started pouring in. Next thing I know, my heart was racing, I was sweating, and feeling dread. It feels horrible. I stayed in bed and just went through the attack and it did pass. I always feel more anxious than usual for a couple days after a panic attack because I go back and think about it. I don't want to think about the panic. I just want to move forward but it is really hard to get through the depression at times. I recently quit my job because it was a very negative environment and it was making me feel super stressed. I felt it was a positive move but now I worry about finances. :( I know it will all turn out ok. God is good. Reading my bible always helps me feel better. Please keep me in prayer.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:13 am

luvbarbie7 wrote:I am feeling very much like you too. I've battled with anxiety :) since the August of 2007. I started the program a cpople months ago. I'm going through it at a slower pace. I still feel really anxioous sometimes. I had a panic attack a couple nights ago and I listened to my relaxation audio which helped. I started feeling a little short of breath and then the negative thoughts started pouring in. Next thing I know, my heart was racing, I was sweating, and feeling dread. It feels horrible. I stayed in bed and just went through the attack and it did pass. I always feel more anxious than usual for a couple days after a panic attack because I go back and think about it. I don't want to think about the panic. I just want to move forward but it is really hard to get through the depression at times. I recently quit my job because it was a very negative environment and it was making me feel super stressed. I felt it was a positive move but now I worry about finances. :( I know it will all turn out ok. God is good. Reading my bible always helps me feel better. Please keep me in prayer.

Thank you for sharing !
I also used to work in a
department for a company with a negative environment
and I had a job position with many pressures.
I don't work there any longer and I feel that my life is much better for it.
I have also recently returned to attending church. I feel that my life is much better
after making that decision. The ladies at the church have really embraced me and have
been so nice to me and have included me in their activities. Although my progress
there is slow because I am so introverted and shy, I am coming out of my shell.
I will keep you in my prayers this Sunday when I go to church.
Don't give up, God has a plan for you.
Lynda Lu :)

Peggy2

Post by Peggy2 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:38 am

I am really struggling with negative feelings about my health. The physical side affects from my medication and panic attacks make me feel fear and dread. It's hard to believe my mind can make me feel this bad. Many times I think there is really something wrong with me and them the panic gets worse. I can't stop the bad feelings! I listen to the tapes all the time to quiet myself down. They do help temporarily. Help! Peggy2

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:36 pm

Peggy2 wrote:I am really struggling with negative feelings about my health. The physical side affects from my medication and panic attacks make me feel fear and dread. It's hard to believe my mind can make me feel this bad. Many times I think there is really something wrong with me and them the panic gets worse. I can't stop the bad feelings! I listen to the tapes all the time to quiet myself down. They do help temporarily. Help! Peggy2
Welcome Peggy !
I know what you are talking about ! I used to have the panic attacks quite often.
I used to be in the Emergency Room at the hospital all of the time !
Don't give up or get discouraged, it takes a lot of time and a lot of effort to
change our current bad habits. It took us a lifetime to learn the bad habits that
we are currently using and so it will take a while to learn some
new empowering good habits that can successfully change our lives for the better.
Have you thought about talking to the counselors here on the website ?
I have heard that they have some great advice.
Keep up the great work and keep in touch with us.
We all understand what you are going through because we have all been through it ourselves.
Love and Care,
Lynda :D

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”