Derealisation=HELL

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
sm18707

Derealisation=HELL

Post by sm18707 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey everyone, well I'm on to session three now. The program is good and Lucinda has mad alot of very valid points so far through the first three sessions. However, I'm still struggling with the feeling of derealisation. I should note, like I did previously, that I am currently seeing a psychiatrist. He has diagnosed me with GAD and currently has me on 75mg of Effexor daily ( which he now wants to bump up to 150mg and I am very reluctant to do that). It seems like the Effexor has helped in some ways but has not even touched that feeling of "unreality and unclear state of mind". If I could just get rid of this damn symptom oor whatever it is I think I'd then be able to make the necessary changes that are incorporated in this program. I hate how it feels like I'm literally stuck in hell. The only thing that seems to dial it down some is nicotine (I chew tobacco) and obviously that is not a valid soultion to the problem. I'm starting to get worried that I have something neurologically wrong with me. Has anyone else ever experinced this horrendous feeling, and if so how can I possibly eliminate it. Please help. Thank you.

sm18707

Re: Derealisation=HELL

Post by sm18707 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 pm

I should also note that this feeling occurs even when I don't feel "anxious" at all.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:22 am

Gee, I'm sure what to say. All I know, is that chewing tobacco probably might be part of your problem. Since it is addicting and when and if you stop using it or cutting back, you are going to get withdrawals that are going to bring on anxiety and depression.

I do know that Effexor works. I've used it after the death of my son. It helped enough to get out of bed and function and take care of my sick father. I did gain weight after I lost this son and switched my anti-depressants. So I switched from Effexor to Cymbalta and was on Wellbutrin when I was on the other antidepressants. I'm now off of all AD's. Debating whether I want to go back on Wellbutrin, which I have been off of for a year and a half. I probably won't, but will discuss it with my Dr whom I haven't seen for a year. Paislee

Larardo

Post by Larardo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:29 am

Hi. I'm Larry.

Eric McLin

Post by Eric McLin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:08 pm

Sometimes, medication can affect our perceptions of reality. If you are feeling detached from reality, it may be that you are suffering from another psychiatric conditon other than GAD ? I am not here to judge. I am not a doctor. Perhaps, your doctor may want to consider a low dose of an anti-psychotic medication like Risperdal to help with the feelings of delusion or obsessive thoughts of being in an unreal state of mind. Often, Risperdal will be augmented with an anti-depressant and the combination will work better than just the anti-depressant. Just my 2 cents. I do pray that time will heal your condition and never give up on your situation. There is no such thing as a hopeless case. Keep plugging along my friend.

t0xic16

Post by t0xic16 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:33 pm

Omg i cant believe sum1 wrote about this i have the sameeee exact thing and it drives me crazy!...its like im stuck inside my head and seeing the world through sum1 elses eyes the correcdt term is called dissociating btw and i have ptsd and they say thats one of the symptoms,im not sure if thats wat u have but i know that this "problem" with reality and not feeling connected really holds me back from getting the real expierience of the program..i actually finished the program and went back on medicine 200 mg of lamictal (a mood stabilizer) its been working i guess but the derealization is still there,,,i find that when i take xanax sumtimes like a little bit it helps me collect my thoughts and focus on the here and now...otherwise idk wat to do...OH and b4 i forget have u ever heard of EMDR? its a type of therapy that deals with ptsd but also dissociating and ive been going for about a month now and suprisngly it works.i highly recommend looking emdr therapy up online...

HOPE THIS HELPS! :)

sm18707

Post by sm18707 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Just following up on what Eric said, yeah idk man I hate the idea of thinking I have some type of delusional disorder or schizophrenia. My psychiatrist has assured me I don't have either but idk I just really hate that feeling. I mean I know whats going on and stuff but things just feel strange to me and its very uncomfortable. I am getting a second opinion on my diagnosis in a week and hopefully some of these things will get clarified. I'm not sure if the Effexor is causing it but its certainly not doing much to help those feelings of unreality and stuff. That is why I don't want to starting increasing the dose but thats what my PDoc wants me to do, idk. All I know is I can't continue on with it forever it needs to get rectified. Ugh, but just the thought of taking an "antipsychotic" makes me feel bad and hopeless.

Clarysage

Post by Clarysage » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:25 am

Do an activity that is familiar and ordinary. I go take a walk or do the dishes.

tawascove

Post by tawascove » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I agree with doing something familiar like doing dishes. It really stinks that depersonalisation,unreal feeling--i have it really bad. I am trying to focus, but at the root for me is sheer underlying and outright anxiety! When I am calm, i don't have this so i know it is the anxiety that is causing this horrible symptom. A two edged sword for sure. The meditation tape helps alot.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”