Thought replacement regarding taking some Advil for my hip

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
ElectrifiedBrain

Thought replacement regarding taking some Advil for my hip

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:38 am

I have Congenital Hip Dysplasia, which for me means that I was born with an underdeveloped hip socket. Because I had 100% dislocation of both of my legs, I was put in a brace for the first 6 months of my life. I still have problems with the condition, with the majority of them happening when I walk a lot, which I do when I exercise. I'm on Day 19 of my exercise, with me doing the recommended method of 1-minute increases, and now my hip has been hurting for hours.

I'm going to take some medicine for my hip, but I don't want to get addicted to it, either physically or psychologically. I definitely have an addictive personality, so I'm sitting here thinking, "What if I get addicted?" The probability of me getting addicted is very low, because the last time I got psychologically addicted to a medication, which was the first time I took a Xanax, I gave it to my family members to hide it from me. I did almost get addicted to Advil and Nyquil before, though, and I wasn't going to tell anybody about it, so I quit taking them right there because I really didn't want to. As well, I've been tempted to take one of my Tylenol with Codeine tablets to hide the emotional pain I'd been in, but I used my willpower to refuse the temptation.

Basically, my question is this. I know that I can successfully resist the temptation to get addicted to Advil because I've done it before with Advil and other medications, yet I'm still worried about getting addicted. What can I do to replace this thought when the translation I have isn't making me feel better?
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”