I left work again because of anxiety

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
gro2gr8nes

Re: I left work again because of anxiety

Post by gro2gr8nes » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:22 am

I never really had an attack at work. That is, not one that was noticeable. I feel the body sensations but I never panic at work. I distract myself because I always have a lot of work to do so. All my panic attacks happened at home or in a vehicle. Since 2007, I have not really had a full blown panic attack. I've had anxiety, insomnia and depression and at present I'm not at work. I'm on sick leave for two and a half months just as when I was first diagnose in 2007. I was placed on medication for about two years and I had taken myself off for about a year. Then, I feel sick with depression in 2010 and was placed back on medication for a couple of months.I was off medication for almost two years until the same thing struck again-depression, insomnia and anxiety. This is the reason I'm on sick leave. Its difficult because I deal with a lot of people and they ask questions about my health and what is wrong with me. I can't explain anxiety to them because they are ignorant about this disease. The first time I was diagnose and had to be on leave and the doctor paper stated anxiety, my manager wanted to freak out. She thought I was getting crazy and when I returned to work she said she was thinking about letting me go. She still associates anxiety with a mental breakdown or getting crazy. They are presently rumors at work that I am. Then they are other rumors or speculation because I haven't shared what is wrong with me. People have a stigma about mental illness and its sad. Since I have been placed on sick leave she has not showed any interest in finding out if I'm feeling better. Throughout the month and a half that has passed she hasn't even picked up the phone to call me. I wish more people will be educated about this disease. I'm thinking if this is my vocation to do so. ;)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm

dear gro:

I have had some of the same experiences as you have ( see my February 2012 post ).
I do agree that people do not understand one thing at all about anxiety and depression
and panic attacks unless they have experienced these symptoms themselves.
I am currently unemployed, but back in 2007 I WAS employed and I had a breakdown
and I had to take a short term leave of absence from my job. Before the breakdown
I had a LOT of symptoms that lead up to the "breakdown". I was eventually hospitalized.
I returned to work and had great support from my co-workers. They were all very
nice to me and SEEMED empathetic / sympathetic. Even though they SEEMED to
support me, I know that they did not understand at all about what I was going through
and I never talked about it to them. We DO need more education about what is going on, so
we do not feel so alone and so that others understand what we are going through.
i have a feeling that there are a LOT more folks out there experiencing what we are
experiencing, but they cannot open up about it.

Lynda

nomoressri

Post by nomoressri » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:46 pm

I left work early today...again! So i can relate, and im glad to know im not alone. Trying this positive self talk, and im saying empowering things to myself, but i dont think i believe what im saying. Im saying realistic things too. Try to give myself pep talks but deep down it escalates anyways. I try to remember im just starting the change process and i cant expect immediate results. I quit cymbalta cold turkey a little over 3 weeks ago. Trying to keep my chin up. Might be lame, but my "song" like others have said, is "i am not a robot" by Marina and the Diamonds. Listening to and singing the words reminds me that its ok to have feelings and be upset or worried or sad or mad. We are HUMAN.

sassytm

Post by sassytm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm

I've been having the problem of leaving work or not going because of my anxiety & depression since 2009. Check with your boss about FMLA leave. At least it protect your job.. Your doctor will probably fill out the forms for you. Mine did. Now my boss wants it updated every 30 days. The doctor fills it out, charges me $25 each time. But, hang in here, I'm getting better with this program. It seems horrible for them to add to your anxiety about having to go home or miss work since you're already anxious because you're afraid you're going to have an anxiety attack at work. I always think, "yeah, add something else to my anxiety level." I already feel bad because I'm trying to hid my condition, get better, and overcome and here they are knocking you further down. Stand tall and straight and know that the day will end soon enough and you can go home and forget about them. It's just a job. It's helping fund your recovery. Smiling through the day is a positive. Pat yourself on the back, you made it for as long as you did yesterday and today and tomorrow you might make it even longer.

One more thing: This week starts my 5th week of not missing a day of work! You can do this!

DannyC

Post by DannyC » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:19 pm

I stopped going to school because of my anxiety. :|
Danny C.

coachjanine

Post by coachjanine » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Hey there. I am sorry to read your stories about anxiety, and missing life's opportunities. If anyone would like to talk about ways they can overcome this fear, I would be happy to do so.There are lots of things you can do. Just let me know. One thing that helped with me was writing out the worst case scenario (what would happen at work for instance), describing every single detail you can think of and write about how the worst thing would come true. Then read it over and over again - several times over a few days until you get bored of it. This may help alleviate the fear.

JasonRain

Post by JasonRain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:15 am

I think you really need to talk to your boss

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”