I left work again because of anxiety

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
cara13

I left work again because of anxiety

Post by cara13 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:50 pm

I left work again today because of anxiety, I now have attendance looming over me. Some days I feel incapable of working, or even holding a simple job down. Does anyone feel the same way?

ElectrifiedBrain

Re: I left work again because of anxiety

Post by ElectrifiedBrain » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:58 am

I'm sure a lot of people do, but I think you really need to talk to your boss. If you have disabling anxiety, then they can work with you.
"It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." - Unknown

Lostone24

Post by Lostone24 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Hey I giv you credit for going to work. I know we need money and a job but look at what you did get accomplished. Some days I don't even want to roll out of bed. It's feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. You just have to look at what makes you anxious at work and conquer those fears. Easier said than done. By the way I work as a special education teacher. My students are often violent. So I know anxiety and I know it can be hard to stay at work. When you are feel uneasy at work just remember me getting a fat lip because we ran out of oreos.

teepee58

Post by teepee58 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:22 am

You are going through quite a bit now, and actually even going to the job shows strength .. I've been there. I know it's scary. I have been and am there now as well. Don't give up too easily like I did and then regret it later, like I do.

I walked away from a good paying job a while ago, for reasons I did not fully understand. I just knew I did not like being there. I felt very uncomfortable over-hearing all of the discussions other people in the office had about their girlfriends, boyfriends, wives, kids, families, and lives. I now realize I was feeling resentment and maybe guilt and embarrassment because my life was (is) so empty in those ways. I was and am divorced with no children and have struggled to develop and maintain relationships and even friendships due to my low self-esteem, anxiety, and an inability to live in and enjoy the present moment. The same feelings I've had most of my entire life. I had a nice nest egg when I walked away, but the economy and stock market are ravaging that now and causing me more anxiety. I did not have anything like the program back then, just the normal treadmill of taking Zoloft without ever really feeling any lasting relief, or facing the root cause of my feelings.

At this point, I wish I had faced my anxiety back then and had this program or something like it, and stayed at the job, rather than doing what I did - which was to run away / escape. Most or all in this program could guess that the problem wasn't with the job, it was with me, and it came with me when I ran away. So now I am dealing with my issues, using this program, but dealing with them along with the added burden and stress of money concerns, even more isolation, and too much time on my hands.

I would recommend, to do your best to stick with the job if at all possible, use it to stay active and help distract from your anxiety, and continue working this program. Throw yourself into your work and do as much as you can. Maybe you can read and reference the program material and recommended reading at times during work and/or on breaks. You can definitely memorize and use some of the techniques described in the sessions, and in the 'Panic to Power' book by Lucinda. If you truly don't like what you do at your job then you must deal with that and perhaps it would be best to find another job and THEN leave ... it's always better to leave if you have another job to go to. Or maybe another position at your present company if possible. Only you can decide if you would be better off being employed while working on your anxiety, or being unemployed and idle while working on your anxiety. I would guess the former would be better.

Best of luck.

RenJ82

Post by RenJ82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:13 am

I ended up quitting a job that I liked because of anxiety. I would feel like I was going to have a panic attack, so I'd avoid that place, since that's where it would happen. I'm sad about that! I know that my boss and coworkers would have worked with me. I wish I would've stayed with it, even though I know it would have been difficult. I've found that telling other people around me about my anxiety helps a lot. It helps me feel less anxious. Don't get discouraged. Obviously you have courage to even go to work when it's hard to do.

Skookum

Post by Skookum » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:44 pm

Sure I leave early sometimes. I love my job and always start feeling great. It is afternoon when stuff starts getting to me. If I did not have my job, I would probably not be able to get out of bed!. Just getting out of the house with a goal gives me a real boost. When I feel I have to leave early I first get outside and walk. Often the change of scene and fresh air will calm me enough to finish the day. Good Luck, you can do it!!

JustJess

Post by JustJess » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:42 am

It's important to try to keep up with routine duties but this has happened to a lot of us. Remember it's just thoughts and you are safe. No need to run home.

KAMO

Post by KAMO » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:20 pm

You should really let your boss know what is going on with you. There are a lot of companies that have free programs or insurance covered programs for people with anxiety and depression.

lockdo

Post by lockdo » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:31 pm

I feel it. A struggle everyday to work.!!! :shock:

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Well, this is not a good story about going to work, but I will tell it.
I was having anxious episodes at work. I started having full blown panic attacks
at work. At the time, and for a long time afterwards, I had no idea that I was having
a panic attack. I went home sick from work. I did not go in to work, I called in sick.
I always had a funny feeling in my body and my head that I could not explain. No one
knew what I was feeling and I did not have an explaination for it. I had been on the
Paxil for three years and took myself off of it because I felt the medicine was affecting
my job performance. I was constantly in the Emergency Room for an illness that had
yet to be described to me. Why didn't anyone tell me I was having a panic attack !
Long story short......I ended up having a mental/emotional breakdown and I was hospitalized.
I did not know what was happening to me or where I was going to be the next day.
I hopped from one behavioral center to the next during my 5 month short term leave of
absence from work ( I was paid 100 % of my salary while on leave, I was very fortunate).
I was hooked up with a psychiatrist after that and I started on several medications that I
am still taking at this time. Being on meds and not changing your behavior DOES NOT WORK !
This is why I am trying to work on this program, why didn't someone tell me 5 years ago
that I needed to change my behavior in addition to or instead of taking all kinds of medications
that can possibly be harmful to me. Ugh. Well, that is my "work/job" story, sorry that it
is not a positive one. PS: I am not working right now due to a layoff at my old company.
Lynda :shock:

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”