Advice on turning negative thoughts into positive ones

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
hopefuljen

Advice on turning negative thoughts into positive ones

Post by hopefuljen » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:25 pm

I attempted to turn negative thoughts into positive ones today but found it really, really difficult. I can see how it might be straightforward to change a negative thought about yourself into a positive one but how about negative thoughts about others or your environment? I have a few thoughts below and wonder if anyone out there can help me shape them into a positive.

1. I made a fool of myself. I tried countering with no I didn't but then I didn't believe that so then opted for "it happens, can't be perfect always, and people probably didn't care or notice and if they did then so what." Not sure that is very positive though.

2. What now? (when a colleague I find annoying entered my office to ask a question). I have absolutely no idea how to turn that into a positive when it was an instantaneous reaction. My theory is that because I was stressed (and not changing my neg to pos) then I reacted this way but if I could get the thoughts beforehand under control this won't happen. Thoughts?

Lastly, I find other negative people draining too but it isn't possible to not have them in your life (co-workers, family members for example) so what do you do to not let their negativity affect you? What do you say to yourself (or do) when someone complains non-stop?

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Cara_C

Re: Advice on turning negative thoughts into positive ones

Post by Cara_C » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:52 pm

My advice for the first one would be knowing that your not perfect and in fact nobody is perfect. I like to think of that when I feel I made a fool of myself but when in reality nobody else thought I did. As long as you go with it or act like it was on purpose... whose going to notice, and if they dont notice how can you be making a fool of yourself. For number 2, just think that annoying person just came and asked your opinion so they must think highly of you or they would not have come to ask you. And I totally understand the last one... I have the same problem with my sister. I try to counter her negative comments with positive ones, even if she doesnt listen. Like an example would be if she is complaining of her crap job I would counter that with well you are great at ____ and ____ so maybe you should look for a job in that field and it would make you happier.

hopefuljen

Re: Advice on turning negative thoughts into positive ones

Post by hopefuljen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks so much for the good advice!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”