Priorities

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Jacmyster

Priorities

Post by Jacmyster » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Has anyone else found that the self talk you engage in each day is based on your priorities? I thought about the things I often feel the worst about and I realized that it was largely based on the fact that I put things that I can't control as a high priority in my life. For instance, I want to be loved, accepted, and encouraged by other people. I want them to give me my sense of worth. However, I cannot control other people or what they think of me. I cannot control how they talk to me, so if they don't tell me what I want them to say, then I end up feeling sad.

I'm wondering if I changed my priorities and focused instead on loving and serving other people, that my self talk would be more positive too. I wouldn't tell myself things like, "Oh, this person thinks ____ of me because of ____." Instead I would be able to focus on loving them and my mind would be full of happy thoughts instead of negative ones. Any thoughts about this? Has anyone found that emphasizing and striving for things outside of your control leads you to feel miserable because it creates negative thoughts?

Kait

Re: Priorities

Post by Kait » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 pm

jacmyster, I am 110% percent there with you!! If I really try to catch my thoughts, and switch them...and I try not to focus on loving them unconditionally (as cheesy as that sounds!) or, try to rid my expectations, and before I know it, things get a lot brighter!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”