Having trouble with breathing! Normal?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
luvu4u2003

Having trouble with breathing! Normal?

Post by luvu4u2003 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I have been having problems with breathing. Its like Im fine one second and then I feel like I am not breathing right. I feel anxiety 24/7. Im also a little worried that xanax is making it worse. Has anyone ever delt with this? Any advice? How do you be concious and unconcious about breathing patterns?

chris001

Re: Having trouble with breathing! Normal?

Post by chris001 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi, I just watched the movie "The Presidents Speach" where childhood teasing had made him stutter and he had to give speaches as the future king. In one scene he is laying on his back on the floor and his wife is sitting on his stomach. His speach coach is telling him to inhale and raise his wife up as he inhaled. Up she went.

When I was a kid in school I took Chorus and was taught to breath in the same manner as the relaxation tape. I don't breath at the same counts as in the dvd but do it in a way that is comfortable for me. The whole idea of the breathing is to help relax you. Therefore, you have to become comfortable breathing this way. I also used breathing as a substitute for cigarette smoking when trying to quit smoking. Instead of inhaling a cigarette's smoke, I inhaled air instead. The transition to this breathing relaxation comes naturally for me.

Maybe you are trying to hard. They say we are perfectionists. Just relax and do a so so job of the timing and stomach breathing and relax, relax, relax.
It just has to relax you. No one is grading how well you do it.
I hope this helps.

RenJ82

Re: Having trouble with breathing! Normal?

Post by RenJ82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 am

I used to moniter my breathing a lot as part of my anxiety. I would feel like I wasn't breathing right or couldn't breath without thinking about it. Doing relaxation techniques helps a lot. Try looking up abdominal breathing relaxation techniques and progressive muscle relaxation. When I'd feel anxious, I'd subconciously tighten the muscles in my chest, and that made it feel like it was hard to breath. When you teach your muscles how to relax, it helps your breathing too. Just know that your body knows what it is doing, and you don't need to worry about it. It's all about relaxation. Slow, deep breathing that expands your belly, not your chest is the proper way to breath.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”