One hell of an attack last night!

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Team Mom

One hell of an attack last night!

Post by Team Mom » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 am

I started session 3 for the second time. I started the program several months ago and quit after session 5. I started an antidepressant and had awful side effects. When I stopped it my anxiety and panic attacks got worse. Last night I couldn't get myself calmed down. Tried the breathing and the relaxation tape. Nothing worked. I ended up taking 1 1/2 doses of Ativan finally got myself calmed down. Has this happend to anyone else and do you have advice? Thank you!

Doodlebug082492

Re: One hell of an attack last night!

Post by Doodlebug082492 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Why did you quit after session 5? I've been through this program before and stopped at session 10, however I wasn't faithful in doing everything the session had told me to do... I didn't do my relaxation session like I should have because I felt like I didn't need it and my panic attack and anxiety ended up coming back and worse... I decided to start over and have been faithful... But it's so hard to calm myself down with the tips they give me because once it gets that bad,, it's kind of hard to believe anything and feels impossible to talk myself out of one... I have 4 and 5 panic attacks a day and, sadly, I just have to let it run its course:( I'm kind of in the same boat as you....
~Doodle

john carleton

Post by john carleton » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:14 pm

if u ever need someone to talk 2 u can call me at 510 260-1463 my name is john hopefully i can have sum helpful info im going threw the program as well.

asammy

Post by asammy » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:59 am

Teen Mom,
this has definitely happened to me too! I got this program in February and stopped following through with it after my anxiety got better. Then shortly after I got this huge panic attack and realized that I wasn't done learning all the tools i needed too! I've definitely had to take some medicine to help anxiety attacks as well along the way. However, ive been sticking with the program and putting in more effort than before and definitely can see results. Hang in there and i will be praying for you!

Gingula28

Post by Gingula28 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Yea It really blows. I've been doing this for 4 weeks. I seem to be getting worse. I think it's because instead of suppressing it, I'm thinking about it all the time... It's making me crazy. I am crying daily, but I am trying to do everything I can. I say stick with it. If ya need some meds to calm ya down- why not take em. It's not a terrible thing. It just a little more help while going through this very difficult process. I'm thinking of all of you.

Team Mom

Post by Team Mom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:12 pm

So far that has been my last panic attack. A couple of times I felf a little funny but I went with it and though positive thoughts. Praying for everyone, this aniexty and panic stuff suck!!! Now if I can just get a full nights sleep I'll be on the right track. Thanks everyone who responded. :)

d1adsl5a

Post by d1adsl5a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey Team mom;

I don't do well with antidepressants either. Been going through horrible divorce. The insomnia has been crippling. I would take a small amount of ambien at night to sleep. I started to take more and more because my anxiety got worse and worse. So a few weeks ago, they gave me xanax. It helps 80% of the time. I felt so guilty that I am taking it. I get down on myself that I can't do it on my own. As someone said earlier, if it helps, OK. We are going through a very hard time in our lives. We all have our own stories. I don't know if I wasted my money or not on this program. But I will tell you one thing it is making me do, is try to turn my thoughts around. I am alot like lucinda was..I start to think what if. What if I don't sleep. What if I lose my job if I can't make it to work. What if I have anxiety forever. What if I can't afford everything I have to pay now this divorce. What if I never meet someone and fall in love again. What if I can't take care of my 3 sons as good as I like when I have insomnia. What if I have to take xanax and alittle ambien to sleep forever...

So if you have to take ativan to calm down, so what. It worked right? You went to sleep. And you are here another day?

We all want to feel safe again. We all want our happy ending. What I am trying to do is stop the what if's. how do i try and put a positive spin on things. It is the self talk thing. I am trying and struggling just like everyone else is. I am 42 and was this strong, successful, happily married dad. Well 3 years ago my wife, came home and said she was done. That began the worst time in my life. I got better for a year. But in the last 4 months as the divorce comes to a close, my anxiety, insomnia. Everything came back. I am just trying to stop the cycle of anxiety. I hope I have the strength to change the way I think.

If you haven't noticed I am trying to do lesson 3 right now in trying to do positive self talk for myself. People see me and they know I am down. I have been down so much lately, I don't remember what it is like to be happy and smile. It this program gives me a glimmer of hope, I will take it.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”