Fear of taking meds

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
DonnaH

Fear of taking meds

Post by DonnaH » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:26 am

So far the program is working great! But I came done with a bladder infection a couple of days ago and I'm terrified of taking the medication the doctor gave me. Help!!!! How do I overcome this fear of medications? I never had a problem with meds before but now the anxiety is like a little voice in the back of my head whispering to me that if I take the meds something terrible will happen. My logical mind knows that this isn't true, but my anxious mind over rides the logical one on this. I would be grateful for any help on this!

mooper

Re: Fear of taking meds

Post by mooper » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

Hi Donna! I call totally relate! I few months back I was put on antibiotics and was terrified to take them just like you now. My husband finally convinced me to take them. It wasn't easy but I told myself this will help to make me feel better.
I believe there's so many natural things out there that can be cured with herbs and especially bladder infections...that's an easy one. I don't know if the state you live in has a vitamin/health food store but they sell things especially for bladder infections. I've used them many times and they work. Another thing is PURE cranberry juice. Try to find the natural 100% cranberry juice. Drink lots of water too :D Also remember that if you decide to take the antibiotics, it's important to take probiotics/acidopholus cause you're killing the good bacteria along with the bad ones. I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck and let me know how you did.

RenJ82

Re: Fear of taking meds

Post by RenJ82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:23 am

When you're anxious in general, your mind is searching for the "dangerous" thing that is causing the anxiety. Medication is what it thinks the threat is. Trust your logic in cases like this even though it's really hard. Then when your mind realizes that the medication is not harmful, you'll be fine. Good luck! I've had similar things happen to me too. It's rough!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”