Anxiety or Perimenopause?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
llewey

Anxiety or Perimenopause?

Post by llewey » Mon May 30, 2011 9:03 am

I have been having perimoenopause for the past 6 months or so. I am now beginning to wonder if the symptoms are not mimicking anxiety. I have been doing so good with my anxiety however here lately I have been feeling these symptoms which automatcially make me think I am having panic attacks. Has anyone else felt this way?

mcshope

Re: Anxiety or Perimenopause?

Post by mcshope » Tue May 31, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, changes in your hormone levels can mimick anxiety or a panic attack. I had a hysterectomy done 2 years ago and the doctor explained that hormones have a great deal to do with those feelings.
I take half a hormone pill, that helped a little. However the program was what helped me the most.
You could try Estroven... it is natural and could help.
Hope

m0ndaymay

Post by m0ndaymay » Tue May 31, 2011 12:16 pm

I don't think they mimick anxiety, I think they make a pre-existing anxiety disorder worse. That's what happened to me. I'm 48 and started going through "the change" when I was 40. From then until a year ago when my periods finally stopped altogether (thank God!) my anxiety was through the roof... worse than normal. It was directly related to the hormone fluctuations. Good news is that once you hit actual menopause, it gets a lot better.

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 1:26 pm

Well, this is both good news. I experienced my first panic attack after weaning off my anti-depressants with a short time use of Xanax. When it was about 6 months since my last period, was when I had the first panic attacks, brought on by other surprising events. Its been quite the struggle getting this all figured out and then starting the Program. The Program has helpd me out the most as well as seeing a different Psychologist with my husband.

Anyway, my Psychiatrist who had been treating me for 7 years, suggested my panick attacks and anxiety was brought on by my hormones or lack of. I went to my OB/GYN, he wasn't as helpful because I wasn't in my usual friendly state when he saw me and I would argue with him. He at one time would give me bio identical hormones, but then tells me that the pill form is more effective than a cream I could put on my wrist.

But I found taking the hormones the year before gave me "funny feelings" (its all complicated to explain) so I wouldn't take them. So I only take Estrace bioidentical cream, so it doesn't have the progesterone in it, which is the calming affect of our hormones. Estrogen raises cortisol, so don't know if that is good or bad, but it does help with skin tissues that begin to dry up.

Progesterone is known to cause heart problems, but then other studies say that HRT helps with colon cancer, so who knows what to do and just how to cure our anxious body symptoms. But having the Program and having actually explain many things that anxiety can cause and knowing personally that CBT can help makes life a lot better. Now if only the world would cooperate! :D :lol: Paislee :mrgreen:

llewey

Post by llewey » Tue May 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Thank you everyone! This is the second time I have been through this program. I can say the first time through was a life saver for me. However I let myself slip back into some bad habits of negative thinking and to top it off this hormone stuff is not helping. The moment I start to help a little warm (I call it my own personal summer) I start to get anxious thinking oh no it is a panic attack. I went off the BC pill several months ago, not sure if that was the smart thing to do. I will keep you all in my prayers as I ask God to lift us all up and help us to think healthy positive thoughts.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”